3DCoat Forums

farsthary � Moving to 3D Coat!

Tom K

Hi all :)

well, I can't foretell what would be the needed changes but I would like to clarify some things: Dynamic Subdivision can (and will) work with Surface mode as well with voxel mode, in theory both, voxels and polygons can have dynamic adaptive subdivision, though the final implementation may differ because both have radically different algorithm ... currently Unlimited Clay work on polygons so is starigthfoward to first target the Surface mode ;) but at the same time if we allow voxels have sub-voxels (further refined like a tree) then the Voxel mode can easily handle adaptive refinement and the output from Surface dynamic subdivision will be easily tackled, I have high hopes in the voxel mode too because voxel refinement will allow implicit dynamic subdivision surface reconstruction at no aditional cost ;) and combined that with the current arsenal of features that 3DC currently boost ... well, WOW :)

Also, dynamic subdivision is just the top of the iceberg :) the beauty of UC is that it aims at mixing mesh/voxel operators and sculpting, that way in the future, could be easily extended to allow dynamic reduction (decimation) among other things :good:

Cheers

Farsthary

• Applink Developer

WOW indeed... It looks like that you have a strong vision, and I like it! Excited to see what future brings ahead. Having dynamic voxels and polygons would be

dream come true. But understand that it can take time to make it work. So having surface mode as a first target sounds great.

Raul:

Do you think that it will be possible to make "Surface Mode" more of a permanent Room - in the sense that true polygon sculpting, (as found in "Brand X"), can take place there?

Will it be possible to export directly from this "Mode" or "Room" or to "Merge" the results into the Paint Room - without sending the results back through the Voxel Room?

If so, this can simply be named the "Poly Room", giving it a permanent spot in the interface and it could and should contain all polygon sculpting tools.

As it is now, it is just a temporary "zone" to speed up Voxel Sculpting.

Its seems to me that Dynamic Subdivision (for polygons) coupled with true polygon sculpting is the fastest possible workflow. Subdividing voxels (on the fly) will still be very resource hungry.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member
well, I can't foretell what would be the needed changes but I would like to clarify some things: Dynamic Subdivision can (and will) work with Surface mode as well with voxel mode, in theory both, voxels and polygons can have dynamic adaptive subdivision, though the final implementation may differ because both have radically different algorithm

I was wondering about this!

This seems to suggest to me that only the voxels exposed to the surface of the object would need to be subdivided and the ones inside the volume could be big. A bunch of giant voxel cubes surrounded by increasingly smaller cubes.

So if we started sculpting on a voxel cube it could actually be just a single voxel until we started adding detail?

Tom

• Reputable Contributor

I agree with Greg and TomK on their points. But I think before you go to far down this trail, I would ask about the prospect of removing the triangular mesh representation in Voxel/Volume mode. That has to be one of the main bottlenecks in voxel sculpting performance. For every single brushstroke, 3DC has to calculate the volume (voxels on or off) AND resample the mesh that contains the volume.

Since you have some experience with particles as well, why not use SHADING to visually represent Voxel volume? I would think newer CPU's and Graphic cards could chew right through it with relative ease. Each Voxel in a grid is treated as a solid Volumetric Particle. Each Voxel Particle would have Color (no more than 8bit), depth (location ID), and Opacity (on or off, 100/0) information. Upon export or merge (to the other rooms), a triangular or quad mesh could then be applied as it is now.

In 3ds Max's Volumetric FX plugin, Afterburn, you have a mode called "Hypersolids" that appear similar to what this would look like. One major benefit to using just a shaded Voxel platform, would be the ability to apply true 3D patterns/fractal algorithm's, such as wood...rock, masonry, etc. But I think performance is where the major benefit will be. We've been waiting on CUDA to be optimized for the Voxel room. Shaded Voxels (no outer mesh), could eliminate the need for CUDA as well, perhaps.

You can see Hypersolids talked about at the 5:20 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBbuYWgR7ME

Another video using Hypersolids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8w1Cd8G7M

• Advanced Member
why not use SHADING to visually represent Voxel volume?

Gigavoxels

"We propose a new approach to efficiently render large volumetric data sets. The system achieves interactive to real-time rendering performance for several billion voxels."

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say how excited I am about this. I can't help but feel that Pixo will screw up the Sculptris implantation of theirs and now that 3DC is getting such features I am SO HAPPY because I know it's going to be done right and most likely faster then the other guys.

I'm Very Happy to have 3D Coat :yahoo: