3DCoat Forums

Creating good bump maps

Calabi

• Advanced Member

How do you guys go about making/applying bump maps. I've been experimenting with trying to get something to work with this object but nothing seems to work.

skullbumpmaps.jpg

I think the jaw area looks ok. I managed to do that by applying a really noisy bump then deleting parts of it with another bump map. Does it look ok, is there another better way?

If it's your high poly mesh you should make a retopo mesh first.

Then slice it creating uv map and then bake normal map.

RETOPO -> merge with NM (per-pixel) and after few spape of time you will have a low poly mesh with baked normal map and AO maps.

If it's low poly mesh and looks like this one... all is done :)

• Advanced Member

Nice sculpting !!!

When saying 'bumps' what exactly do you mean? Old fashion bump maps? Or displacements - normal- maps?

The one you use to paint on the model in per pixel mode, the depth option. I dont know what that comes out as, but you create(in photoshop) the brushes, or use the ones down the side.

Oh! I see, my mistake. You may be having trouble with the UV map, it looks like some polys are lower res than others this can be tweaked by scaling up some of the polys (in the UV map) where you don't have enough detail, like below the nose. This is a nice time for Ptex, you could just select those polys on the model and hit the Ptex Increase Res. button.