3DCoat Forums

Increease resolution

ne_mo

Is it possable to increase resolution without smoothing? It's terrible to make for some ours the forms and when I wanna go to the next level of detailes (increase resolution) It's become toooo smooth and lose its form and sharp ages.

Any ideas?

There is definitely a "best" way to model with voxels - a rule of thumb:

1) Start at the lowest resolution to rough out the basic form, (use the default, small sphere).

2) Only increase resolution when you cannot achieve the details you need at the level you are currently using.

3) Save all "high frequency" detailing for the Paint Room - you can even add actual displacement using the Micro-Vertex or Ptex methods of painting.

Working in any other way is not really efficient, since voxels require so much processing power and RAM to be practical - especially regarding speed of stroke.

Also, in the case of fingers: don't make them too thin to start with - use the "Grow" tool to add more volume to the finger tips.

Greg Smith

It's REALY sad :(

At zbrush it's simple and only one small tick - you just press it and when you increase resolution the object not changing - only add more polygones. I don't understand why it's not here at 3d coat (becourse I think that algoritm of "smoothing" is more difficalt when algoritm "leave the polygons at there places and just add some devided".

Maybe I'm wrong - I'm not at any kind of programmer.:)

At this example with hand I come at realy impasse - I need to make more detiles for it - add some armor (I wish to make knight glovers) but not any sucsess - it'ss too routh and to make hand avere time from the begining is not the way. :( Now I'll try to export to zbrash - maybe it will help.

THanks for helps.

• Advanced Member

Voxel Sculpting is different than polygons. From the looks of the picture you took the problem is that you haven't gotten the hang of voxels so far. It's different I'm not sure how to say it exactly. But you need to understand that voxels is about volume sculpting, polygons is more about surface. Therefore, make sure your volume is correct, try to get the voxels as smooth as possible, then go into surface mode, and from surface mode into paint.

• Advanced Member

1) Start at the lowest resolution to rough out the basic form, (use the default, small sphere).

2) Only increase resolution when you cannot achieve the details you need at the level you are currently using.

3) Save all "high frequency" detailing for the Paint Room - you can even add actual displacement using the Micro-Vertex or Ptex methods of painting.

Working in any other way is not really efficient, since voxels require so much processing power and RAM to be practical - especially regarding speed of stroke.

Also, in the case of fingers: don't make them too thin to start with - use the "Grow" tool to add more volume to the finger tips.

I really don't think that workflows had to stay as linear as they are currently - especially since Dynamic Tesselation is coming.

"Best praxis" workflows often have little in common with Reality.

Everything which let us work on without saving versions and without duplicating Voxel-Layers -Tools to let us keep once existing Detail or at least reproject lost Detail made this program stronger.

As others have already said, this fundamental thought found in any aspect of the program makes Zbrush so flexible. This is an area where 3DC still has to get better.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7567

• Reputable Contributor

Kay is correct you do not have enough voxel resolution to start with to capture the details. Use voxel resampling after you capture the details instead of increasing voxel resolution. You will retain much more of your details on the voxel object that way without them being smoothed out so much.

Phil, I agree that the very fine details are better left for the paint room but still you can get good detail on a 3 million voxel object.

Picture included, The head is right at 3 million voxels.

post-518-12968496890685_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Version 3.5.11 has voxel resampling. Voxels are closer to pixels than polygons. So the same way you resample a 2d image to retain details the same works for voxels on the most part.

Plus with resampling you can choose how much resolution increase you want by typing in the number. Voxel increase resolution is set at about 4x and smooths the voxels without regard to details...

I do not know if Andrew tried to make resampling work as described but the wording implies he did.

post-518-12968508007951_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I really don't think that workflows had to stay as linear as they are currently - especially since Dynamic Tesselation is coming.

"Best praxis" workflows often have little in common with Reality.

Everything which let us work on without saving versions and without duplicating Voxel-Layers -Tools to let us keep once existing Detail or at least reproject lost Detail made this program stronger.

As others have already said, this fundamental thought found in any aspect of the program makes Zbrush so flexible. This is an area where 3DC still has to get better.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7567

I have had to go back and make large scale changes too and I have never felt that it's difficult to do or impractical, in 3DC. I figure out a way to make it work with the tools that are ALREADY there. For example, if I need to move a characters ear more forward, well after I already have him in the Paint Room....I DO NOT NEED TO GO BACK TO VOXELS TO FIX THAT.[/b] You have the "Sculpt Room" to make medium-large changes, and smaller details can be handled using Image Based sculpting tools (using depth maps) in the Paint Room.

You say that when baking to another mesh, you lose layers....so what? No big loss. You get Color, Depth, and Specularity maps, and import those back in. If you just HAVE to have those individual layers, go back and bake them out individually (turn the others off and rename the maps to match the layer and import it back in on the new mesh).

As for the OP's issue, I have never experienced a problem losing detail when increasing resolution. It looks like you first need to go back and increase the resolution on the layer you are merging to, before hitting APPLY. That way you have enough resolution to capture all the details of the model you are merging. There should be no holes.

As Greg stated, the general rule of thumb when sculpting in any application (Voxels are not unique in this regard) is to build form in lower levels of resolution / subdivisions. There is a 2nd level, where you work on medium forms, and then a 3rd level, where you apply high-levels of detail. You can do fine details in Voxels, no problem, but you do begin to reach a point where you need to have a 64bit version and fairly new hardware...with plenty of RAM.

Since you can do these details with "Image-Based" sculpting in the Paint Room, it makes more sense to do so if your hardware resources are limited, and even if they aren't. It also allows you more flexibility when you want to be able to "dial up or down" different layers of detail. In Voxels, you don't have the ability to blend layers with this kind of control.

• Advanced Member

Currently one has to think of stuff like: Make Fingers thicker - leave room for higher Voxel-Resolution-Levels to tighten up everything.

This way of thinking may be second nature to people who come from Polygon modeling as here models also change drastically between

SubD-Levels. For me as somebody with a Nurbs background this embrarassing behaviour both in Meshes and in Voxels was way harder to digest...

Why - if not for making Modelers Lifes less painful did the Modo-Makers introduce Pixar Subd's which allow to retain previous Curvature even

after inserting loops?

Lets put it this way: Would you Guys seriously mind if 3DCoat allowed you to sculpt fingers directly in the thickness you effectively need?

Wouldn't that be better?

Wouldn't it also be better when we could store a Morph-Target like in Zbrush and recover undesired Form-changes by painting with a Morph-Brush

after increasing the resolution? Why should we accomodate the Shortcomings of Voxels as they exist in their current implementation when there's

brilliant guys like Andrew and Raul who could help us out?

I'd much rather make fingers the way I want them, thick or thin - without secondary considerations - and lots of other things.

And, I think those other things will be in the works, quite soon. I can already see those wheels in Raul's head turning - and he has the highest hopes and expectations for what 3D-Coat can be. And, if you only knew what Andrew has got cooking - well.

There are just a few preliminaries that need to be attended to, first - which are now being attended to.

I don't think we will have to wait very long, (not even in dog's years).

But, as for me - things should always be as easy as they can be - eliminating all the side-steps and workarounds - putting power into the hands of the artist and removing the drudgery from the process.

Greg Smith

Version 3.5.11 has voxel resampling.

THanks, I didn't remarked that button (res+) before, maybe it was version 3.3 (now I try 3.5), but by pressing that button it realy works - just increasing 2 times I have good result for my sculpt needs - needs some memory but I ready for this.

In any case, when I was solving my problem I open many good connections coat-zbrash - so if i'll have any problems I'll solve them.

Thanks for repling of newbe question )