3DCoat Forums

Voxel Normal Projection

JPWestmas

Maybe this is overkill and I should just use the Normal Mapping Paint tools. . . I think it would be nice to be able to project a voxel model's normals onto a low poly mesh that has UVs already to go. Is this possible in 3DC? Perhaps I should start with voxel modeling first but my work flow sometimes starts with a color UV map in some cases.

So in other words, I want to merge an obj (UVs already applied)into the voxel sculpting environment. So I know I can convert my low poly obj to voxels, but can I project those voxel normals back onto (after I sculpt the voxels) the original obj UVs that I created before hand?

So, you convert to voxels, sculpt the voxels, then at retopo section take your modifiered voxels and old lowpoly model and bake it. (you may eaven take the method when lowpoly will sneep to the voxels). where is the problem? (maybe for my pure English I don't understand you, sorry ^)))

• Reputable Contributor

The short answer is, "Yes." Merge to Voxels to do all your detailing, and then if you want to bake all the details to the imported mesh, you just need to go into the Retopo Room and in the toolbar (or Retopo Menu), click "Import."

You will have a chance to scale/rotate/move the mesh into place if necessary (it shouldn't be necessary as 3DC places it in the same position and scale it did in the Voxel Room). If you're happy with the placement, just hit ENTER, and you will get a prompt "Do you want to snap to Voxel object"...naturally, you want to click "YES."

You can now merge into PPP, MV and the details will be baked to either a Displacemnt map (Microvertex Mode) or Normal Map (Per Pixel Painting Mode). When you imported the mesh into the Retopo Room, it should have the UV's that were embedded in the OBJ or LWO file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0-bZKNrvU