3DCoat Forums

Just bought a Graphics Pen Tablet

Voxelman

I am really floored by it! :yahoo:

Got a BAMBOO PEN.

It's like the difference between drinking water from a puddle on the ground and drinking from a glass...lol

Probably nothing new to most here, but I just could not contain myself and had to mention it. It is absolutely amazing!!! :good:

3DCOAT and a Graphics Pen Pad go together like peanut butter and chocolate... :drinks:

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of getting one.

I was looking for videos of use with 3D Coat. Glad to hear it's working great.

Does it work good in the voxel room with sculpting as well as painting?

It's almost mandatory to use a graphics tablet, I wouldn't even consider doing anything in the voxel room without one. I have a large Intuos 3 on my desk and a smaller Graphire (predecessor to the Bamboo) that I keep in my laptop bag. I even have an older Intuos 1 that I bought around the year 2000 that doesn't work anymore (actually it does, Wacom just stopped making drivers for it) I think my avatar orc would have been impossible without it.

• Advanced Member

I also use the Bamboo,and it works great with 3DCoat.

Prior to this,I also used a Graphire,and for years before that an Intuos (until it died on me),and I

have to say the Bamboo works as well as any,great price too.

Absolutely essential for voxel sculpting and the like.

You've made a good choice.

• Advanced Member

I am really floored by it! :yahoo:

Got a BAMBOO PEN.

It's like the difference between drinking water from a puddle on the ground and drinking from a glass...lol

Probably nothing new to most here, but I just could not contain myself and had to mention it. It is absolutely amazing!!! :good:

3DCOAT and a Graphics Pen Pad go together like peanut butter and chocolate... :drinks:

I know what you mean I have tried drinking water from a puddle (mouse) and I definitely do not recomend it ha_ha!

I got the BAMBOO PEN & TOUCH FUN last year, the FUN bit is where you get the bundled software ArtRage 2.6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 in my case.

Ok I was thinking "meh, why get a graphics tablet, I can just sketch it out on paper and make it on the computer."... right...

I'm sold. Getting a tablet.

Although it would be nice to test or at least see a demo of someone using it with 3D Coat.

Also which bamboo do you guys have? I can only afford the small one? Will that be good enough or do I need one of the big ones that are like 250 dollars?

• Reputable Contributor

Ok I was thinking "meh, why get a graphics tablet, I can just sketch it out on paper and make it on the computer."... right...

Although it would be nice to test or at least see a demo of someone using it with 3D Coat.

Also which bamboo do you guys have? I can only afford the small one? Will that be good enough or do I need one of the big ones that are like 250 dollars?

Using a mouse is like drying to draw/sculpt with a brick, while a stylus is obviously like drawing with a pen. I never use a mouse anymore. I think the 6x8 size is perfect. Not too large or small. I bought an offbrand tablet years ago and went for the big one. You have to move you hand too far with those things, so bigger is not always better in this case.

• Advanced Member

• Advanced Member

Using a mouse is like drying to draw/sculpt with a brick, while a stylus is obviously like drawing with a pen. I never use a mouse anymore. I think the 6x8 size is perfect. Not too large or small. I bought an offbrand tablet years ago and went for the big one. You have to move you hand too far with those things, so bigger is not always better in this case.

Is '6x8' the desirable 'active' area, or the full size of the tablet?

Are the 'touch' features desirable, or is the pen the real goal of the tablet?

I notice that the Pen without touch has a resolution of 1270 lpi, while the slightly more expensive one with the touch has a 2540 lpi resolution. Is this a consideration? Both seem to have the same accuracy of +/- .02 in.

BTW - at buy.com, it's 90.86 including shipping:

http://www.buy.com/prod/bamboo-pen-touch-tablet/q/loc/101/211998016.html

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

Is '6x8' the desirable 'active' area, or the full size of the tablet?

Are the 'touch' features desirable, or is the pen the real goal of the tablet?

I notice that the Pen without touch has a resolution of 1270 lpi, while the slightly more expensive one with the touch has a 2540 lpi resolution. Is this a consideration? Both seem to have the same accuracy of +/- .02 in.

BTW - at buy.com, it's 90.86 including shipping:

http://www.buy.com/prod/bamboo-pen-touch-tablet/q/loc/101/211998016.html

Thanks!

6x8 is the active area. It's considered the Medium-sized tablet. I have an Intuous 3, an I use the buttons and touch strips often as well. That way, between it and the Space Pilot, I rarely have to reach for the keyboard for hotkey commands. I don't know what the added value of the slightly more expensive Bamboo model is, but it's really handy to have an UNDO or SAVE command right there at your finger tips.

• Advanced Member

6x8 is the active area. It's considered the Medium-sized tablet. I have an Intuous 3, an I use the buttons and touch strips often as well. That way, between it and the Space Pilot, I rarely have to reach for the keyboard for hotkey commands. I don't know what the added value of the slightly more expensive Bamboo model is, but it's really handy to have an UNDO or SAVE command right there at your finger tips.

The bamboo's active areas for the pen is 5.8" x 3.6". That's less than 1/2 the size you recommended.

Will that be enough?

Thanks!

So then the 5x3 will be enough then?

The reason I'm asking this over is because you just said the Bamboo will have plenty of size... but it comes in I think 3 different sizes... I can only get the 5x3 now s I'm really hoping that'll be good. Thanks.

LOL...AbnRanger said it best. "Using a mouse is like trying to draw/sculpt with a brick."

I got the BAMBOO PEN. $69.99 at BEST BUY. It is worth every penny.

Was thinking of the PEN with TOUCH but heard it really was not needed.

The biggest thing about using it over the mouse is your sculpting is now "Pressure Sensitive"...meaning you can now manually adjust the brush DEPTH as you sculpt, on the fly. It feels like a combination of Sculpting and Drawing at the same time...It's incredable!

And the PEN is much more intuitive to use than the MOUSE.

Also, your ZOOM/ PAN/ and MOVE features in the VOXEL WINDOW are now through the PEN and it is really nice to use.

It does take alittle getting used to over using a MOUSE, because now you are using a PEN...just like a PEN, and point and clicking admitedly is abit easier with a mouse possibly, but after getting used to the PEN, I find it more to my liking.

As far as size,the BAMBOO PEN I got has about a 6"x 3 1/2" active PAD area. The area of the PAD translates exactly to the total area of your PC screen size.

I have not tried any of the larger size PADS (this is my first GRAPHICS PEN PAD buy), but this size seems best, as your not moving so much to get the same effect a larger one would give.

I cannot recommend a GRAPHICS PEN PAD enough. There may be other brands out there, but I'm happy with my BAMBOO PEN. :good:

• Advanced Member

About the size of the tablet.

Think like this: You need something as close as possible to the "projection" of your screen, not as close to the screen itself. A same size like your screen wont make you happy. A wide tablet for a wide screen of course. I use the wide bamboo for the moment.