3DCoat Forums

Clipping Planes, 3D-Textures etc.

polyxo

• Advanced Member

Hi Developers,

this is again a post which wants to encourage Development in - thus far - somewhat neglected areas.

Voxels are awesome for many reasons. Being a solid geometry-representation is one which could

make Developers of Mesh and Nurbs-Programs jealous.

When their Customers ask them for powerful modeling and presentation-aids like editable Clipping

Planes and Section-Views they either can only offer hull-representations with open trim-lines or

have to use Display-Tricks to let the open Geometry appear closed.

With 3DCoats Voxel no such cheating was neccesary!

That's why I'd wish that we could use Tools to control object-visibility which aren't available

in any Sculpting-Program I am aware of. Attached are some examples. In the first image one can

define a plane which clips away virtually. The second image shows a volume which got defined

to control the Visibility of parts of a model (as a Nurbs model is hollow one can only see its outer

skin).

Finally just one more possible use of the Solid nature of Voxels.

3D/Volumetric Textures are of course nothing really new. Here's a little clip which shows a quite nice

interactive example. I understand that traditional Painting does not really make sense on Voxels.

But could some sorts of 3D-Shaders work? Just as a thought...

post-575-12971165375256_thumb.gif

post-575-12971165834235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This would be a huge help to me as well (In fact I requested this in the past). I know that the majority of 3DC users are making things for CG purposes, and I don't know if this feature would be useful for them, but it definitely shows off the volumetric nature of the model.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Developers,

this is again a post which wants to encourage Development in - thus far - somewhat neglected areas.

Voxels are awesome for many reasons. Being a solid geometry-representation is one which could

make Developers of Mesh and Nurbs-Programs jealous.

When their Customers ask them for powerful modeling and presentation-aids like editable Clipping

Planes and Section-Views they either can only offer hull-representations with open trim-lines or

have to use Display-Tricks to let the open Geometry appear closed.

With 3DCoats Voxel no such cheating was neccesary!

That's why I'd wish that we could use Tools to control object-visibility which aren't available

in any Sculpting-Program I am aware of. Attached are some examples. In the first image one can

define a plane which clips away virtually. The second image shows a volume which got defined

to control the Visibility of parts of a model (as a Nurbs model is hollow one can only see its outer

skin).

Finally just one more possible use of the Solid nature of Voxels.

3D/Volumetric Textures are of course nothing really new. Here's a little clip which shows a quite nice

interactive example. I understand that traditional Painting does not really make sense on Voxels.

But could some sorts of 3D-Shaders work? Just as a thought...

I agree on both points, but why no going the full way and apply real volumetric fractals and deformers? it would be ace.

I've to admit that I'm playing with Acropora (voxelogic.com) and it's awesome in some regards...I would love to see those deformers/gradients

applied to 3dcoat voxels... one could do super ace things. I'm thinking about post a mixed work, just to show the possibilities.

mrn