3DCoat Forums

Performance issues in voxels room

microxx

Hello guys,

Another noobie question here, Im trying for the first time to sculpt something in the voxels room, but Im having some issues with interaction. Is not smooth as it should but step/strobe like whenever I move the brush on the model or rotate the view. But when I actually use a tool, let's say move or spike tools, everything is smooth, so we could say it's working fine, but the slow visual interaction is just too annoying. Is there something that can be done in order to get rid of it? maybe a preference or something...?

You can see what i mean in this video:

Interaction issues

3dcoat 3.5.01A x64 without CUDA

intel i7 980x

nvidia quadro fx 4800

Thanks for any advice,

Orlando.

• Reputable Contributor

Hello guys,

Another noobie question here, Im trying for the first time to sculpt something in the voxels room, but Im having some issues with interaction. Is not smooth as it should but step/strobe like whenever I move the brush on the model or rotate the view. But when I actually use a tool, let's say move or spike tools, everything is smooth, so we could say it's working fine, but the slow visual interaction is just too annoying. Is there something that can be done in order to get rid of it? maybe a preference or something...?

You can see what i mean in this video:

Interaction issues

3dcoat 3.5.01A x64 without CUDA

intel i7 980x

nvidia quadro fx 4800

Thanks for any advice,

Orlando.

Thanks for taking the time to show a screen capture. The one thing I couldn't see was just how dense the model is. But I will say that you don't want to use the move tool in that way or with such large brush strokes, unless you use Multi-Res...then you can get crazy with the brush size and all. The MOVE tool is more like a global SHIFT tool. You don't really want to use it as a sculpting tool except to make some adjustments in overall form.

Quick update:

I downloaded and installed 3dcoat 3.5.12B x64 without CUDA and at first the issues seem to be gone, but after some minutes of playing around, the issues are back. If i close and reopen the scene everything works fine for a couple of minutes and the again slow :(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Orlando

Thanks for taking the time to show a screen capture. The one thing I couldn't see was just how dense the model is. But I will say that you don't want to use the move tool in that way or with such large brush strokes, unless you use Multi-Res...then you can get crazy with the brush size and all. The MOVE tool is more like a global SHIFT tool. You don't really want to use it as a sculpting tool except to make some adjustments in overall form.

Thanks for the suggestion, as I'm still very new to this stuff and Im just playiung around with the tools. Im having a hard time in order to find what exactly each tool does.

But still, the issues are there no matter what tool i pick, it's just a matter of time to get the slow performance back. I dont really know how to show you how dense is the model but I would say it's rather low, because when I draw a sphere using the ctrl key, i can see the low res in the edges of the cavity.

I tried 3.5.12 but I decied to go back to the latest stable version, as it's freezing a lot on this side.

Very interesting issue you got there. Have you tried if there is diffrence between DX and GL versions?

Hey, thank you very much, and yes, big difference between GL and DX version. Apparently DX version it's working much better. I'll play a bit more and report back.

Thanks again.

Microxx:

You can tell by the number of grid squares that your model takes up - that it is quite dense. If I could make a few suggestions:

1) Since that duck-like shape is quite simple, at this stage, it could be modeled with 1/4 the resolution, and you would be seeing great speed improvements.

2) When modeling, always start with the lowest possible resolution, (I like to start with the smallest, "default" voxel sphere). Even though, at that resolution, it is obvious that edges are jagged - persist. Only use the "Res+" function when you absolutely cannot squeeze any more detail into the sculpture - at the existing resolution.

3) Contrary to what Don says, (sorry Don), I use the "Move" tool for sculpting of all kinds. It actually can function like a polygonal "Extrude" tool - as well as "shifting" areas of the model. Used with the right Brush Alpha shape, you can intrude things like spherical indentations - and extrude the same kinds of things. But, it does start to lag at high resolutions.

4) Save all high frequency detailing, (for the time being - things are changing), for the Paint Room. You can paint with actual mesh displacement using the MV and Ptex methods.

But, fear not - a very powerful arsenal of polygonal tools is on its way - giving speed boosts to everyone for simple things like you are demonstrating - and for very very complex things, as well. "LiveClay" - brainchild of Raul Fernandez, a guy we are proud to have working with us, will solve many of these processor intensive voxel slowdown issues.

Greg Smith

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

This is the issue I've been having as well. The move tool's performance is just sub par. I guess it's a technical problem with voxels? Any work arounds for reshaping your model?

Cache the layer you're working on, and use the Move tool on the Proxy. It's ridiculously fast, and will propagate any changes made to it, onto the higher res version, when you uncache it. Anytime you experience a bit of lag, check what type of brush tip you're using (use the solid one with a falloff Brush alpha, and it will usually speed things up a good bit), and if it's still slow, toggle to Proxy mode (Multi-Res) and continue working.
  • Like 1