3DCoat Forums

Need way to create a uniform mesh

RobH2

I am retopoligizing a hand with a latex glove on it and then need to render out an image that gives the wireframe thickness, like a screen mesh. I have no problem retopoligizing meshes but how can I make the mesh or model 'uniform' with the exact same mesh grid spacing over the whole mesh? Can 3D-Coat do something like this. I need a mesh that is very evenly spaced so it looks very nice and clean when the wireframe is rendered.

Here is what it might look like but imagine it a hand instead of a plane.

Example Mesh

Hm. Export retopo mesh to any other 3D package. In 3DS MAX in material editor there is an option o render mesh as wireframe. You can adjust wire thickness and color.

As for clean mesh in max there is modifier TurboSmooth. It bends all of the wire so they render as curves connected in a vertex point.

Using "AUTOPO" - leaving all settings at their default - and not adding any density shading or guides - will often produce a very regularly spaced, quad mesh - even on things like a glove.

Give it a try. If you need a coarser or a denser mesh - the only setting you should change would be the "Approximate poly count" number.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

another option might be to do a very basic 'manual' retopo (super-lowpoly) and just

keep subdividing to the level you want...so you're basically setting up the vertices

you want the edgeflow to move around (like 4 sides on all fingers, even-ish spacing

across the top/bottom of the palm, etc.). Each sub-d will snap the new 'cage' to your

underlying geo.

image for clarity (used 'Brush' tool in retopo room with shift key to smooth):

mostly-uniform-wireframe.jpg

Hm. Export retopo mesh to any other 3D package. In 3DS MAX in material editor there is an option o render mesh as wireframe. You can adjust wire thickness and color.

As for clean mesh in max there is modifier TurboSmooth. It bends all of the wire so they render as curves connected in a vertex point.

Yes LightWave also has this option, in Layout just select the object and hit P for Properties, under the Edges tab you'll find wireframe options. If you need it to be a sub-d object check out the plugin called asPolygon Coloring.

Hey guys thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll try them all except I can't do the Lightwave one as I use 3DMax. I think from the suggestions you gave me I can come up with a nice mesh with regular spacing.

Thanks again...

• Reputable Contributor

Hey guys thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll try them all except I can't do the Lightwave one as I use 3DMax. I think from the suggestions you gave me I can come up with a nice mesh with regular spacing.

Thanks again...

If not, the Graphite Modeling tools in Max has a feature in the "Edge Tools" section to even out selected edges/edgeloops. The button is aptly named "Space"...try it on one portion of the body at a time, and it should come out fine.