3DCoat Forums

The best way to detail vehicle\hard surface models?

JimB

• Advanced Member

Hi

I'm looking for the best way to detail my vehicle models for game use,just painting details these days does'nt seem to cut it anymore.

This old car has 46 parts obviously since the doors in this instance do not open I would therefore combine the hinges with the doors and so on.

These old cars had fairly detailed radiator grills and vents in the bonnet,also the windows have rounded corners etc.

I would be interested in purchasing a set of tutorials on using 3D Coat on this subject and other hard surface game specific subject matter.

Thanks

post-536-12980178729037_thumb.jpg

This free tutorial may already help you. If you want more tutorials on Hard Surface, Javis Jones has two series on sale on his site

EDIT : About the Videos from Javis Jones. The "Kitbashing" series is mostly about building models from scratch using parts and primitives and cutting shapes. Not exactly what you are up to but you might find ideas to add details too. The "Retopo for Hard Surface" included in the Hard Surface compendium with the Kitbashing videos probably gives the best way to auto-retopo hard surfaces, but i'm not really happy with the result anyway. It's a limitation of the Autopo engine and not an issue with the training but don't place too high hopes being able to keep all your details when you autopo hard surfaces after seeing this video.

I don't know what's in the Atlas Armor set but there is a $10 coupon until the end of the month if you register on his site.

• Advanced Member

This free tutorial may already help you. If you want more tutorials on Hard Surface, Javis Jones has two series on sale on his site

EDIT : About the Videos from Javis Jones. The "Kitbashing" series is mostly about building models from scratch using parts and primitives and cutting shapes. Not exactly what you are up to but you might find ideas to add details too. The "Retopo for Hard Surface" included in the Hard Surface compendium with the Kitbashing videos probably gives the best way to auto-retopo hard surfaces, but i'm not really happy with the result anyway. It's a limitation of the Autopo engine and not an issue with the training but don't place too high hopes being able to keep all your details when you autopo hard surfaces after seeing this video.

I don't know what's in the Atlas Armor set but there is a $10 coupon until the end of the month if you register on his site.

Thanks Bob what I'm looking for probably does not have enough interest,I did watch the video of detailing the bus and I don't think Javis is very interested in that side of things (I could be wrong).