Francesco Mai

Massive Render Voxel (no retopo)

49 posts in this topic

Ok my dear 3d Coaters...(mmmm strange word but I like it)..Here you are some more images of my artistic research related to the world of Voxel.Same approach of the last ones,modelled in Voxel Room,exported in Zbrush for some beauty treatment with the plugin Decimation Master then render in Cinema 4D at insane resolution...I hope you enjoy them!

post-2589-0-02313300-1304494952_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-81372300-1304494966_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-69935700-1304494981_thumb.jp

Nice work! I especially like the middle one which would make a good civic sculpture. :clapping:

Thank you Tony Nemo for your kind words...Concerning the suggestion for a civic sculpture you are not the only one that has this idea:) Also a unknown guy called Michalis suggests me :D

Anyway here you are some more...Let me know your thought about them...

post-2589-0-61372500-1304581940_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-85884600-1304581955_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-94644400-1304581970_thumb.jp

Great sculpts Francesco. How many poly do you export from voxels?

The union of organic with metallic/hard edge suggests a parallel evolution of a metal based organism or a geological manifestation has eroded away to reveal it's core. Can you imagine casting something like this? Maybe the future will deliver a 3D printer of a scale that would produce a proper size. :good:

@Michalis...Usually in Voxel room I reach 8/16 Millions polygons,export as dense quads,import in ZB and decimated at 80/90% less with Decimation Master plugin as you already know.With GoZ (very useful indeed,maybe it is a plug in for lazy people but is fast and comfortable) I "fly"to Cinema 4D with an obj file of 1 Million polygon more less.It is not very light for "old" GForce gtx 260 but it permits to have some features in sculpting (i.e holes,stripping,cut,booleanes and so on)that is possible reach only with Voxel.Maybe in the future also ZB could have these skills but for some things voxel are irreplaceable.And for me it also VERY FUNNY work with Voxel...

In next weeks I want to try to use normal and displacement maps created in ZB starting from a retopologized sculpture and detailed in ZB.

@Tony Nemo...You are right..Some forms of old alien life,some archetypal base of life...It is my dream obtain a real (big)sculpture from my digital ones..For now the prices is rather high but I am sure that in few years they will drop down,I mean for 3D printing.It will be like the 2D colour printers of 15 years ago..Now with few Euro you can buy excellent products (yes,the inks is still expensive :( ).In the future I will have an exhibition of my works with "traditional"Lambda printings at high dimension,then a professional animation in HD,finally I concrete sculpture from the same digital model,

just to demonstrate to the public the versatility of the digital approach to Art.The future is already began...

@Tony Nemo...You are right..Some forms of old alien life,some archetypal base of life...It is my dream obtain a real (big)sculpture from my digital ones..For now the prices is rather high but I am sure that in few years they will drop down,I mean for 3D printing.It will be like the 2D colour printers of 15 years ago..Now with few Euro you can buy excellent products (yes,the inks is still expensive :( ).In the future I will have an exhibition of my works with "traditional"Lambda printings at high dimension,then a professional animation in HD,finally I concrete sculpture from the same digital model,

just to demonstrate to the public the versatility of the digital approach to Art.The future is already began...

It may be that table sized sculptures that faithfully reproduce the digital will have a market as well. You could sign each one in limited editions.

Maybe I am little off topic but I permit to report that on Christoph Werner's blog I have the honour to be the featured artist of the month,so if have some time and want to have some more information about me please click here

A straight question Francesco

Do you really like the sculpting tools of 3dcoat? Behavior of the tools is the most important to me.

A straight question Francesco

Do you really like the sculpting tools of 3dcoat? Behavior of the tools is the most important to me.

Dear Michalis,

I am always happy when I speak with you...But come to your question...Yes I am really happy when I use 3d Coat's

sculpting tools and now I will explain why..Usually I use only Sphere tool with a different type of "painting",I mean box,circle changing some parameters.Consider also some very little use of Extrude,Grow and Plane..always in Voxel room.

Hello,good morning,I want to show to you 3 different rendered images of the same Voxel sculpture.100% modelled in 3D coat followed by a "little" reduction in ZB Decimation Master then rendered in Cinema 4D.Nothing very complex,just some training before a new series of works...Anyway I was always surprised what is possible to reach with the Voxel sculpting...

post-2589-0-82193300-1307468403_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-62834600-1307468418_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-64785100-1307468451_thumb.jp

Here you are some more pure voxel experiments..Created in Voxel room and rendered in Cinema 4d.I hope you appreciate them!

post-2589-0-10234800-1310983453_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-36266500-1310983472_thumb.jp

Very organic series of voxel sculptures..The freedom of voxel it is incredible...Also this one was

rendered in Cinema 4d after a "little"decimation in Zbrush

post-2589-0-47474600-1312672394_thumb.jp

Doodles not so doodles entirely created in 3D Coat+a little mesh cleaning with DynaMesh in ZB.Rendering in global illumination in Cinema 4d.Results much better beyond all expectations!I love to see the internal structures of these cut voxels in a so defined manner.In my opinion pure voxel sculpting IS the future for digital sculptures.

post-2589-0-95440000-1319546760_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-11396200-1319546768_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-63128500-1319546775_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-09098300-1319546783_thumb.jp

Very nice indeed. Elegant! :clapping:

Pure vox sculpting may be the future but now you used dynamesh. I wonder how. Many possible ways I have in mind... lol

One for sure. Boolean like operations are superior under voxels-3dc room.

@steelbug Thank you for your kind words!

@michalis Hello my dear.The same for you!Concerning the use of DynaMesh,well I found that "convert"a raw multi-millions

sculpture from 3D Coat (no matter if dense quads or exported as is) give a much better smooths in rendering

with reflective materials ( I mean really no artefacts at all!).Of course I can smooth in 3D Coat but with DynaMesh the

process is much more faster and I can also well control the number of polygons and also use some polish tools

like the new one called "Clay Polish".

Hello everybody.Here you are some less than hour modelling+rendering "evolute"doodles.

Creation was made using the new exciting spikes/curves in SURFACE mode

of the 3.7 version and the use of CUTOFF tool.

Same results of my previous experiment in xx millions polygons from VOXEL but now

MUCH MUCH FASTER..

post-2589-0-41734300-1321868790_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-04638500-1321868799_thumb.jp

Beautiful results Francesco! And impressively sharp.

Are these both BPR renders? Still digging this engine and start loving it.

Beautiful results Francesco! And impressively sharp.

Are these both BPR renders? Still digging this engine and start loving it.

Hello Michalis,thank you for your kind words (ans also for your speed in posting,as

usual!)No,the rendering was not in BPR,both in Cinema 4D.But also I noticed that

the new ZB rendering engine is quite impressive (a part real ray-tracing of course).

a part real ray-tracing of course

Right. But there're tricks that produce almost the same results. I may write a simple tut but where should I post it?

In general, one light only can work as a ray tracer. So, for accurate results, multiple passes is the best way (combined in Ps)

Right. But there're tricks that produce almost the same results. I may write a simple tut but where should I post it?

In general, one light only can work as a ray tracer. So, for accurate results, multiple passes is the best way (combined in Ps)

Interesting Michalis,I suggest to post your precious information in off-topic area,in the Zbrush R2 thread.Usually

I prefer real ray-tracing for better result "as real".But I also know the time is 10/100 time lower in fake ray tracing.I am

sure that for some fields BPR can works very well in very short rendering time.

Some more advanced "doodles"from the last beta 3.7.01..

As usual they are voxel sculptures created in 3D Coat,exported "pure"as obj file and

then rendered in Cinema 4d.

I hope you can enjoy them!Sculpting with voxel it is like cut the butter...

post-2589-0-94377500-1323854003_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-12872500-1323854019_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

Ok let's give some new life to this forum....

Here you are some new studies from voxel sculpting and a creative use of the "cutoff"tool...

The sculpture is the same in every rendering but seen from a different view.I like very much clone it

and create a sort of couple.

All created in 3D Coat,exported and render in Cinema 4d.

I hope you appreciate them :).

post-2589-0-58322900-1336472069_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-24289600-1336472085_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-52555700-1336472104_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-37509400-1336472117_thumb.jp