3DCoat Forums

Messiah Studio 5 and N-Gons

digman

• Reputable Contributor

I had some obj files locking up Messiah Studio 5 running under wine on my linux system. After some research I found out that Messiah does not like N-Gons at least on the Linux/wine and Mac versions. If you are having some issues with loading check for any N-Gons. Once I got rid of them the obj files loaded with no problems...

Link to the older thread where I found the answer.

http://setuptab.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=1904.0

This isn't specific to Linux or Mac builds either. It is also on Windows.

If you plan on using ngons on an object, it's no problem, unless you SubD the object. The issue is that messiah uses the old school "metanurb" algorithm that Fori originally developed for LW.

There is a heated discussion in the members section on setuptab.com about implementing CC SubDs.

• Reputable Contributor

This isn't specific to Linux or Mac builds either. It is also on Windows.

If you plan on using ngons on an object, it's no problem, unless you SubD the object. The issue is that messiah uses the old school "metanurb" algorithm that Fori originally developed for LW.

There is a heated discussion in the members section on setuptab.com about implementing CC SubDs.

Thanks for the information and I should also been more specific in the information I gave. Whenever I tried to import/load a obj with N-Gons Messiah locked up so no chance to even use the "metanurbs with the TAB key,

Thanks for the information and I should also been more specific in the information I gave. Whenever I tried to import/load a obj with N-Gons Messiah locked up so no chance to even use the "metanurbs with the TAB key,

Ahh sorry. My mistake. :)

Yeah that's weird for sure. Any chance of a bug report on setuptab? If you don't have membership I can submit it for you in the members section, just PM it to me here if you like. :)

• Reputable Contributor

6560 polygons,

To test, I subdivided the entire mesh to get rid of the N-Gons and it loaded into Messiah fine. Problem with N-Gons confirmed.

Next, got rid of only the N-Gons in the mesh... Obj file loaded into Messiah with no problems.