3DCoat Forums

Z-brush books but apply it to 3dc

• Reputable Contributor

Any one have this book. http://www.amazon.com/ZBrush-Digital-Sculpting-Human-Anatomy/dp/0470450266/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Is this one of those books that can be applied in 3dc. What % of this book could be done in 3dc.

I have it, and it's just a matter of using equivalent tools. As far as detailing the Uniform, I would do the implements like the belt, using the copy tool (paint the rough area for the belt, and then on that layer, use the spline pen mode to trim the excess away with precision. Then right click the layer and select "Extrude." Bam...you have your belt. You can use the objects (obj's) from the models pallet, or create those from scratch FFD primitives and then just drag the layer into the models pallet and an OBJ will be created. From there, you can either merge (on pen or with a transform gizmo) or simply go to the brush pallet, click the "+" icon and point to your chosen OBJ model, and a preview screen will pop up. You can orient it however you like and hit OK...now you can use that as a 3D alpha to paint your bullets, rivets, zippers, etc, with.

Lots of different ways to skin that cat. You can sculpt all of this from the Paint room. I would open the Texture UV editor and use a mask to project the uniform's honeycomb pattern onto the UV islands nice and evenly dispursed.

• Advanced Member
Lots of different ways to skin that cat.

A great truth.

I don't believe that books on a zbrush workflow can really help a 3dc user. A different approach, a different workflow.

Even inside zbrush world we can still see different approaches, different workflows.

My favorite way is to use the proper app for the job. So have two or three apps run the same time.

I can easily construct a belt in blender and import it to zbrush for subdividing etc. I can import it to 3dcoat for just painting it though. I can't subdivide here but I can paint. I have to drop it to voxels etc etc. See my point? A belt can be easily modeled via zsheres but not the best for curves tool in 3dc (similar or better to zsheres tool in some other cases)