3DCoat Forums

Troglodyte character

Jake_H

• Advanced Member

Hi

Just starting a new project - I am modeling up a Fantasy muscled man thing (Troglodyte is my working title for character- I was basin him off of early Urukai/cave troll concept sketchs – I loved the LOR early helmet designs)

My aim is to eventually rig this character up aiming to demonstrait knowledge of anatomy, modelling for deformation and quality skinning/rigging in Maya (as well as good texturing – a given) for my reel.

Anyway I wanted to post the base 3DCoat sculpt long before I retopo and take into Zbrush for detailing (yes I know I can do it all in 3DCoat - but prefer - Zbrush brushes at higher res levels)- I have started detail blocking in the feet - but I am undecided for his his overall look - BAH!!!

techinically I am happy with my brief above ... BUT....I am actualy stuck conceptualy - its yet another big bloke model - kind of hulk-ish (Yawn!)-

Was thinking about; perhaps taking it more in line with this guys direction:

CGFeedback Caveman

Its still early stages yet - and I am not too sure want to go too ape, I suppose I want a well muscled out of shape slob [perhaps a retired urukai - who has served his time for war crimes and now lives a quiet life].

I am also looking at PNG tribal costume -but still undecided.

Feedback welcomed

Jake

post-1096-0-76933900-1299109574_thumb.jp

post-1096-0-13607500-1299109593_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Hi

Just starting a new project - I am modeling up a Fantasy muscled man thing (a working title for character- based off of a combination of early Urukai concept sketchs love the early helmet designs)

My aim is to eventually rig this character up aiming to demonstrait knowledge of anatomy, modelling for deformation and quality skinning/rigging in Maya (as well as good texturing a given).

Anyway I wanted to post the base 3DCoat sculpt long before I retopo and take into Zbrush for detailing (yes I know I can do it all in 3DCoat - but prefer - Zbrush brushes at higher res levels)- I have started detail blocking in the feet - but I am undecided for his his overall look - BAH!!!

techinically I am happy with my brief above ... BUT....I am actualy stuck conceptualy - its yet another big bloke model - kind of hulk-ish (Yawn!)-

Was thinking about; perhaps taking it more in line with this guys direction:

CGFeedback Caveman

Its still early stages yet - and I am not too sure want to go too ape, I suppose I want a well muscled out of shape slob [perhaps a retired urukai - who has served his time for war crimes and now lives a quiet lif] (also looking at PNG tribal costume -but still undecided).

Feedback welcomed

Jake

Sweet, jake_H. I love your proportions.

• Advanced Member

Blocking out the head features - I am going with the leftmost head style - just need to integrate the head into the body proportions better- adjust the facial proportions - I am aiming semi-realistic; but some features are too fine on my left most head. I dont think that I am going to go creature sculpt with him so the googly eyed head variation on the right will most likely be abandoned.

post-1096-0-67252900-1299161676_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

An update:

Going with the cruder face after all - I reworked it this evening making it more primitive and cruder. I have also blocked out his hands and feet and started looking at his gut. I have been looking at reference of a wierd body building phenomina called roidgut - where the abdomen is distended but still muscled - I wanted a strong mans big belly not just pure fat, it will probably be smaller in the finished version and a little softer looking than it currently is.

I am now looking at Mayan reference for final character styling - something slightly Apocolypto with regard to costume.

post-1096-0-86013100-1299594089_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Great work Jake, as always :clapping: :clapping:

Balance of the character stance feels wrong like he will fall backward and its spoiling him for me cos its a big distraction to my eye. You have the feet in a seperate layer maybe rock body forward to correct this?

Cool stuff Jake. Faces are Perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Cheers Phil, LJB, Lorenzo, Tony and Digman

A quick update with a WIP retopo, been busy with other stuff - (dammmit why did I go and get a job so soon after redundancy).

LJB- yes I see what you mean LJB - and I have adjusted the base vox to suit - I will still be working the base vox back muscles details while playing about with re-topology.

Cheers

Jake

post-1096-0-53125500-1300618304_thumb.jp

• Contributor

A quick update with a WIP retopo, been busy with other stuff - (dammmit why did I go and get a job so soon after redundancy).

LJB- yes I see what you mean LJB - and I have adjusted the base vox to suit - I will still be working the base vox back muscles details while playing about with re-topology.

Cheers

Jake

Much better. Less destracting.

Cheers

Jake

Very nice work.

A tip when you retopo: Start very basicaly, use less polys. Retopo just the main polygon stripes and work from the "top to the bottom". Means: Don't start too early with detailed topology, better subdevide later. :)

• 3 weeks later...