3DCoat Forums

Draw beard on face while on its own layer?

3dCoatWannabe

• Advanced Member

What's the best way to draw a beard, hopefully on another layer than the face?

If I use 2D Paint in Voxels while on another layer, it doesn't follow the form of the face (that doesn't exist on the layer I'm painting).

I thought of cloning the face layer, but then if I draw on the clone layer, the cloned face will be there when I've finished drawing the beard, so I won't have a beard on its own layer.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Glad to help...do you have a screen grab to show how it's working for you so far?

Well, compared to what you created, I'm a bit ashamed to post, but ...

Due to copyright, I'm not actually trying to create an Elmer Fudd, and probably don't have the skill or talent to create that face at the moment, so I'm going after a more generic model that will hopefully improve as I spend more time with 3D Coat - and will be easy to animate with Motion Capture and Motion Builder tweaking.

The hands have been a show stopper at the moment. In your video, the fingers appear rather quickly. I think you flatten out the hand, but ... it's really going to take me some practice to be able to produce even a cartoon hands that look 'correct'.

I'm in the process of trying to get up to speed on curves, and definitely need a few more hours before I'm really comfortable. So, I've abandoned the model for a bit to just play with curves until they become 'second nature'.

I wish there were a repository of Curves for hands, feet, etc. Would be very useful for those of us who are less talented (this is obviously my first attempt at creating any characters).

BTW - Is there a way, in curves, to increase the width of the entire tube (instead of just one end)?

post-2274-0-37319900-1300221699_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

There are "Body Parts" like hands, feet, and ears, in the models pallet (Voxel Room). It's in the body parts directory, when you click the little drop down arrow in the upper right hand corner of the pallet. What I did for the hands was make one sphere for the carpal bone region (main portion of the hand), and clicked on the shpere to bring up a transform gizmo. You can then squash the shere to be more flat. With each new finger (or toe) you need to click "New Curve" in the tool options panel. That way you can start new curves with a new point of origin.

From there, you can use the FILL tool to fill in the crevices and the GROW tool now acts a bit like a fill tool as well, but faster. Anyhow, you just want to use the curves or primitives tool as armatures to build upon...just as one would with a clay maquette. A really good resource for anatomy and tips on blocking out human form, is the book "ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy." Even though he uses ZBrush, you can apply the same principles in 3D Coat. Just build out your rough forms in your first pass. Your medium level shaping in a 2nd pass, and then refine the model in a 3rd pass, where you do most of the small details. You can opt to do the really fine surface detail in the paint room, where you have a lot of flexibility in blending layers, and dialing the depth up and down in each layer separately.

ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy:

http://www.amazon.com/ZBrush-Digital-Sculpting-Human-Anatomy/dp/0470450266/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300240172&sr=8-1

Leigh Bamforth has some DVD titles well worth checking out, for both organic and hard surface sculpting:

http://www.kurvstudios.com/3D-coat/voxel_sculpting.php

As for copyrights and such...as long as it's a personal project, don't worry about copyright infringement. It's no different than drawing a Marvel Comic character by hand and showing it in your portfolio or online in a forum gallery. The copyrights and trademarks are there to prevent commercial use of their IP, not to go after aspiring artists, practicing their craft using their characters as models.

Thanks for the great ideas!! I really do need to learn the basics of drawing, as I have had zero training (and probably have zero aptitude also, unfortunately. We shall see).

It's one thing to read the manuals and watch the videos on curves, and yet another to understand how to use them properly.

Knowing to create a new curve rather than just dragging on the flat hand to continue a curve is very useful to know.

I've been designing databases and software to run businesses, and am hoping to transition into something a bit more fun.

This was my first attempt at using Fusion

(YouTube compression really kills it as there's a lot of motion) and I want to change that around a bit and use more interesting camera moves - and then have a video of that girl singing opera (which she does rather well), appear on the video behind the stage as a way to transition into a new set.

The camera will move in towards the video screen, until it is now completely inside the new set, with a green screened opera girl singing Nessun dorma.

This horned helmet character who will be poking her with a spear or doing something amusing, etc.

It may take me a while, but if I keep at it, I should eventually be able to produce something worthy, at least, I hope so.

If I fail at creating characters, or need more professional ones than whatever skill level I can attain, I assume I could hire you to create them for me? If you could create a 'spot on' Elmer Fudd, I expect you could create anything.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the best way to draw a beard, hopefully on another layer than the face?

If I use 2D Paint in Voxels while on another layer, it doesn't follow the form of the face (that doesn't exist on the layer I'm painting).

I thought of cloning the face layer, but then if I draw on the clone layer, the cloned face will be there when I've finished drawing the beard, so I won't have a beard on its own layer.

Thanks!

Hello, did you get an answer to this? I'm also wondering about the same thing!

When merging into a new layer/instance/volume, it does not voxelize onto the main layer. and its driving me crazy :(

Thanks for any help!

• Advanced Member

Hello, did you get an answer to this? I'm also wondering about the same thing!

When merging into a new layer/instance/volume, it does not voxelize onto the main layer. and its driving me crazy :(

Thanks for any help!

I followed abnRanger's advice and was able to paint a beard without problems.

I was mistaken about it not following the form of the object I was painting on.

If you paint on one layer, you don't want it to affect another layer.

I'm unclear on your problem with merging.