3DCoat Forums

library of curves

3dCoatWannabe

• Advanced Member

I notice that curves can be saved and loaded.

It would be great for beginners to have a small library of different curve shapes.

This would be distinct from the OBJ polygonal models that are merged, as curves would provide more flexibility.

Then, it would be possible to choose a cartoon shape, an animal or a human shape, with all the curves completed - and modify that shape (by using the curve tools) to make a new one to then model and refine using the other 3D Coat tools.

This would also make a great sales tutorial for 3D Coat, with the instructor loading a few curves form a library, and quickly creating a number of cool objects form these curves. A great sales tool for 3D Coat!

I expect a curve viewer or at least a thumbnail would be required, but ... maybe not, as 'cartoon character'. 'human character', 'dog', etc. would be very descriptive and would require no changes to 3D Coat.

There is a library, with thumbnails. Load the Curves tool and look at the Spline tab. The library was always there, the thumbnails were added in 3.5.

Oh or do you mean the curve would be set up like a rig to make a basic human shape for example? That might be a good idea to include a few samples. When the saving option was first introduced I shared a human character, I think it's on the forum in with the other free stuff.

OK, hopefully this question wont seem too "off topic".

As someone who only uses the NURBS based CAD programs MoI & Rhino, I'd like to know if there's any way to get their Curves into 3DC?

I'm talking about using straight forward 2D type curves, nothing overly complicated.

MoI will allow me to Export any NURBS Curves out as EPS-AI file...so it'd be really nice to be able to Import or utilise them in some way with 3DC.

Even if this was just to create flat sections or remove that particular shape from a voxel mass much like a "cookie cutter" with dough.

Rhino does have many more Export & Save options, but I'm not as clued in or up to speed with using it as I am with MoI.

regards Colin

• Advanced Member

OK, hopefully this question wont seem too "off topic".

As someone who only uses the NURBS based CAD programs MoI & Rhino, I'd like to know if there's any way to get their Curves into 3DC?

I'm talking about using straight forward 2D type curves, nothing overly complicated.

MoI will allow me to Export any NURBS Curves out as EPS-AI file...so it'd be really nice to be able to Import or utilise them in some way with 3DC.

Even if this was just to create flat sections or remove that particular shape from a voxel mass much like a "cookie cutter" with dough.

Rhino does have many more Export & Save options, but I'm not as clued in or up to speed with using it as I am with MoI.

regards Colin

Actually - as the format is open one could also support Curves stored in Rhino's native format, also used by MoI .3dm.

But also .obj should be able to store Freeform-Curves and of course .dxf and .ai seem to make sense to me.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

There is a library, with thumbnails. Load the Curves tool and look at the Spline tab. The library was always there, the thumbnails were added in 3.5.

Oh or do you mean the curve would be set up like a rig to make a basic human shape for example? That might be a good idea to include a few samples. When the saving option was first introduced I shared a human character, I think it's on the forum in with the other free stuff.

Yes, I was hoping for a library of complete curve rigs to make human, animal and cartoon shapes. Those would be very helpful to get started quickly.

A DNA spline would also be rather cool.

I didn't see your human character. You 'Lucy' upload expired.

I hope that 3d-coat.com will create an upload section, as almost all of the really cool uploads have expired, and HD space is so cheap nowadays.

BTW - while on the subject of curves, 3D-Coat might warn you if you have curves that have not been 'applied' when closing. I didn't realize that I couldn't start on building something with curves, save the .3b file, and resume work on it later.

• Advanced Member

While on the subject of curves, when I am in rotate mode and have a green cone, sometimes it is right in the way of seeing what I'm trying to rotate.

For example, if I am trying to create a flat hand, I can't really see the hand part rotate if the large part of the green cone is at the end of the hand pointing towards the arm.

It's also slightly difficult to see 'inside' the curve's red transparent sphere. Would be nice to be able to be able to make it a bit more transparent at times (so that I can see the angle of the flat part of the hand connected to the arm better).

I didn't see your human character. You 'Lucy' upload expired.

I hope that 3d-coat.com will create an upload section, as almost all of the really cool uploads have expired, and HD space is so cheap nowadays.

BTW - while on the subject of curves, 3D-Coat might warn you if you have curves that have not been 'applied' when closing. I didn't realize that I couldn't start on building something with curves, save the .3b file, and resume work on it later.

Sorry the Lucy model is just so big there isn't room for it on my forum account, I'd also rather not keep it in my Dropbox since it doesn't benefit me in any way to keep it in there to be honest.

The Biped curve is attached.

basic_biped.zip

• Advanced Member

Sorry the Lucy model is just so big there isn't room for it on my forum account, I'd also rather not keep it in my Dropbox since it doesn't benefit me in any way to keep it in there to be honest.

The Biped curve is attached.

Yes, I quite understand.

I just hope the limits get relaxed, as if the links didn't be come invalid, we'd have a wealth of uploads.

Thanks for the biped!!