3DCoat Forums

Merging Two Objects

tonyd

Good day,

I have been trying to merge two objects without a lot of success.

I made up a voxel block and then tryed to import a object, followed by trying to merge them together.

Can anyone please explain the process of merging objects?

There is scaling issues and moving the object as well.

The function of moving the object is a lot of hiy or miss so if there is a easier way I would appreciate the tip.

Many thanks again, I cannot express how good this program is!

Tony

Tony:

The most important thing when merging objects is to give your "base" object enough resolution. If it is a primitive, like a cube, make sure to scale it up till it fills about 2/3 of the viewport (this is just a rough estimate).

Then, when you merge any object, there will be enough resolution to start with. If you want to use a very visual way to place your merged object, try the "On pen" option in the Tool Panel.

When using this option, you can use your mouse buttons to scale (Right button drag left and right) and to raise the object above the surface or embed the object into the surface of your base object (Right button drag up or down). Each left mouse click places a merged copy into your voxel scene.

Holding down "Ctrl" while you Left click subtracts the merged object's volume from your "base" object.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Tony:

The most important thing when merging objects is to give your "base" object enough resolution. If it is a primitive, like a cube, make sure to scale it up till it fills about 2/3 of the viewport (this is just a rough estimate).

Wouldn't you have to take into account the zoom factor the viewport is set to?

If each grid corresponds to about 1 meter, what size should the merged object be in reference to those 1 meter grids?

In the effort to convey the idea that 3D-Coat is not really a CAD application, I'd rather refer to "relative" sizes.

In reference to the grid, a good "rule of thumb" (for objects needing a "medium" amount of detail) is to make your "base" object nearly fill a grid area of, roughly, 3 x 3 x 3 major grid units.

Relatively speaking, this is assuming you are "starting from scratch" with a new object.

Greg Smith

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing this Thread up again, but it seems to be the only one which remotely matches my cause. I don't know if there are many users which use 3d-coat for the game asset production. But if there are, they would agree with me, that it is vital to scale all of the assets properly. With generic units you can't tell how large an asset is compared to another. One could of course load both model into 3d coat to see if any of them needs to be scaled. But i think this is quite inconvinient.

If you plan to import your asset into an engine, lets say UDK, you have to ensure, that you convert the dimentional unit of your asset to centimeters. Otherwise it is not guarateed that your assets match in size. Apart from this, meters is the native unit used in UDK.

What im trying to say is, one needs a proper measurement of objects in order to match sizes. The best way to do so, would be a unit system which exists in reality.

Lets say I created a table in 3d studio max. There i have the option to set my grid to meters or centimeters. in addition i am able the convert my dimentional units to centimeters when exporting to "fbx". Lets assume i want to create a plate in 3d coat because i want to sculpt some details on it. Now how do I match the size of the plate without loading the table into 3d coat? As far as i know, there is no fast and feasable way to do so.

I hop you understood my problem and realized why i would be glad to see metric units within 3D Coat.

Thanks & Greetings

Edregol

http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-33/

Voxel Mode changes:

- New Measure tool in voxels:

It allows to measure and define everything in Voxel Mode using physical units like inches or meters. It is extremely useful for real production and prototyping.

measure2.gif

- Improved 3D grid. It can be customized to work with real units. 3D-Coat will fit much better for precise works:

griddensity.gif

- Voxel primitives will follow grid points while moved with SHIFT (use CTRL, CTRL+SHIFT for smaller step of movement).