Denis S

ZBrush R6 AppLink -32 bit version-

95 posts in this topic

One more thing got obvious when testing the Applink:

3DCoat doesn't like Polygroups when merged to Voxels. It leads to great errors, both when trying to merge Solid and as Skin.

I believe this is something Andrew had to address first - Polygroups seem to get interpreted as not welded in the Voxel-Workspace.

Interestingly - everything does get treated as welded in the Paint/Sculpt-Workspace. When Mesh-Deforming seams stay closed.

What should be the Solution now?

I think the first step should be ignoring these Poly-Groups when Merging to Voxels (in order to make it work at all)

But in later steps I believe two other Modes made sense:

1) Merge each Polygroup as a Solid Volume (so that in the Case of the Rhino we had separate Voxel-Layers for each Polygroup)

2) same as 1) but not Solid but with a Wall-Thickness (merge as Skin)

Further testing is difficult as Zbrush freezes each time after I moved something over to 3DC...

post-575-0-18224000-1301169346_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-98084600-1301169359_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-82586100-1301169370_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis,

thanks for the Update! I see the Axis-Remapping fixed.

I could not test the support for other Bitmap-types as this version again doesn't send back to Zbrush (neither Model nor Textures).

Also the Script started in Zbrush still loops here and it still makes Zbrush freeze. Only when pressing Escape one can kill the Script

and keep Zbrush going - but I'm afraid by pressing Escape one also cuts the Connection between the Programs. This is on

XP32, will check Win7 64 later.

Hey polyxo!

Please verify the version of 3D-Coat you are currently using. If it's feasible, please update to the latest 3.5.16.

I'm using Win32, Nocuda version on Vista32 for development and testing.

This infinite looping in ZBrush after sending mesh to 3DCoat is by design. It's supposed that after sending info to 3DCoat, ZBrush enters kind of "waiting state" until it will get results back from 3DCoat (which is done by pressing "File -> Open in originall app" in 3DCoat).

Pressing Esc while ZBrush in waiting state, will cancel whole export-import sequence, and you will be unable to get anything from 3DCoat without re-exporting from ZBrush. Unfortunatelly, in waiting state, ZBrush UI sometimes freezes after Alt-Tab to another window. But inside it's still working and waiting either Esc or results from 3DCoat. I will try to somehow address this issue (maybe it's possible to force ZBrush to redraw it's UI properly after alt-tab), so ZBrush won't look "freezed" when waiting for 3DCoat.

Regards,

Denis

Hi Denis,

Please verify the version of 3D-Coat you are currently using. If it's feasible, please update to the latest 3.5.16.

I'm using Win32, Nocuda version on Vista32 for development and testing.

Hi Denis - I was indeed still on 15b. I upgraded and got the link working again.

This infinite looping in ZBrush after sending mesh to 3DCoat is by design. It's supposed that after sending info to 3DCoat, ZBrush enters kind of "waiting state" until it will get results back from 3DCoat (which is done by pressing "File -> Open in originall app" in 3DCoat).

Pressing Esc while ZBrush in waiting state, will cancel whole export-import sequence, and you will be unable to get anything from 3DCoat without re-exporting from ZBrush.

Yep, that's what I assumed already...

Unfortunatelly, in waiting state, ZBrush UI sometimes freezes after Alt-Tab to another window. But inside it's still working and waiting either Esc or results from 3DCoat. I will try to somehow address this issue (maybe it's possible to force ZBrush to redraw it's UI properly after alt-tab), so ZBrush won't look "freezed" when waiting for 3DCoat.

Ok - Alt+Tab is the reason! Thought that the Looping at some point screwed Zbush. I of course use Alt+Tab all of the time on my Laptop. Tuning that up was very welcome.

More testing tomorrow. Thanks!

is this broken with 3.5.18? I can't get 3d-coat to send anything back to Zbrush

Yep, I tried a few days ago and couldn't get it to work. I was waiting to see if I was an isolated case.

Hi guys,

Any news with this plugin ? Like other mentionned, right I can bring something from ZBrush in 3DC but I can't from 3DC to ZBrush. Also, I've got sometimes an error saying : error: DLL::ExcBegin() failed!

I would love to use this plugin but right now I can't.

Thanks

These two apps are a powerful combination. Many possible combinations actually. I'm wondering, how complicated an applink should look like. I'm pretty sure that doing this manually is easier.

Having a multi res mesh at ~12M and you want to retopo it. I guess you choose to export a lower res mesh. Merge it to voxels (autopo)?, as reference for manual retopo? The base mesh for Uvs and painting?

What about the opposite? To ZBrush? Choose the 'star' before importing. Append. You may use UV master to copy UVs. You may import displ_map in alphas panel and displ palette after. I can't remember how many workflows are possible. Like dense quads, tri meshes exporting, better baking of maps, projections.... Remember sculptris with GoZ plugin. Three apps then. LOL :drinks:

I'am also getting this DLL::ExcBegin() failed! when I try to export from zbrush to 3dcoat

Skaale from zbrush forum, right?

Do you really need this? Just asking.

I'd love to get this back, it was a really nice tool to be able to use both programs together.

I'd love to get this back, it was a really nice tool to be able to use both programs together.

+1

Same here !

Both program have their strentgh and weakness ... So a link between the two apps would be awesome to use the best of both of them.

I love so much the polish brushes in ZBrush for hard surfaces with curves, but the boolean merging tool in 3DCoat are no match !

I was just curious if there has been any developement with the zbrush applink, or if you guys are using a seperate process for moving sculpts/meshes between 3d coat and zbrush. I just bought 4R2, and I have to admit, learning the UI and the generic .obj importing has been kicking my butt. (Apparently there's no freaking manual provided with the program, just a "getting started" guide) Makes me appreciate 3dCoat a LOT more :)

I was just curious if there has been any developement with the zbrush applink, or if you guys are using a seperate process for moving sculpts/meshes between 3d coat and zbrush. I just bought 4R2, and I have to admit, learning the UI and the generic .obj importing has been kicking my butt. (

I have just asked for an adaption of the Zbrush Applink for R2 - the Developer should already know that the Zbrush 4 does not work any more.

Apparently there's no freaking manual provided with the program, just a "getting started" guide) Makes me appreciate 3dCoat a LOT more smile.gif

Have a closer look in your Installation Folder!

Zbrush is amazingly well documented through many hundred pages of Help-Files (the 4.0 and 3.5 files still apply!), extensive pdf-tutorials and ZClassroom-Videos.

Thanks for the tip on checking the installation folder, I found the manuals! I admit i was expecting them to be in the zip file for zbrush, and got frustrated. I've been going through the zclassroom vids. Dynamesh is neat, but it definitely doesn't compare to 3dcoats voxels :)

I am having an issue with getting the edited object (a voxel in this case) back into zbrush...so, when I hit 'edit in 3d coat' from zbrush it will send the model over, but, when I hit exportvoxelobject back to app, nothing happens,...no message...and, when I look for the file, I do find it, but need to manually import the edited mesh from 3d coat...if you have any suggestions on how to fix this problem, I'd appreciate it,

thanks,

-Josh

I am having an issue with getting the edited object (a voxel in this case) back into zbrush...so, when I hit 'edit in 3d coat' from zbrush it will send the model over, but, when I hit exportvoxelobject back to app, nothing happens,...no message...and, when I look for the file, I do find it, but need to manually import the edited mesh from 3d coat...if you have any suggestions on how to fix this problem, I'd appreciate it,

thanks,

-Josh

If you are using the R2 Update, that might explain why. It has been mentioned in this thread, that the applink doesn't yet work with the new ZB update. It works correctly with ZB 4, but I'm not sure what the hold up is, getting support for R2. Maybe the plugin dev. can chime in here.

thanks,

-Josh

updated to 05 but have this same problem getting mesh back to Zbrush.

updated to 05 but have this same problem getting mesh back to Zbrush.

I'm glad that there's an update!

I however see the same as tree 321 on two different machines.

One can drop from Zbrush but one can't fetch back

i am having problem to bring the voxel back to zbrush. i am using zb4r2 and latest 3dc. created a mesh in zbrush. used applink to bring it to 3dc as voxel. Edit the mesh in 3dc then use BringVoxelBacktoApp menu to bring the mesh back to zbrush. Went back to zbrush and nothing happened. is that the right way to do ? am i missing anything? please help.

just want to bring mesh back and forth between zbrush and 3dc in voxel mode.

ps. just updated to 5 version and still having same problem. do i need to installed the previous version before install the new one?

What also seems not yet possible with this Applink is to start a collaborative session inside 3DC. So that one can first send

stuff from 3DCoat and fetch it back.

What also seems not yet possible with this Applink is to start a collaborative session inside 3DC. So that one can first send

stuff from 3DCoat and fetch it back.

There are only a few Applinks that allow you to start in 3D Coat first. Hopefully that will change. It was 3ds Max, Blender for sure and I believe C4D and Modo would as well. The gentleman working on the Maya Applink said he would look into doing the same thing for it.

I had some troubles initially with the ZBrush applink, but it started working correctly all of a sudden and I can't remember what caused it to make it behave.