3DCoat Forums

New to 64 bit and newer Graphics Cards

Polygoon

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

I have just upgraded my computer to a 64 bit and have a new graphics card (Nividia GTX 560 TI). I am not yet familiar with, in regards to what is better to use - Open GL or DX. I have downloaded the latest Cuda 64 bit version and in the pop up it mentions "run DX (better for older cards)" or "Run OGL ( better for 4xx Cards)". I assume the "4xx" is refering to the GTX 4xx range and that it would be best to use this option. Would this be correct? Or is it better to use DX with CUDA for nividia cards?

• Advanced Member

If you've downloaded the beta from http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634, I think there's a recent issue with Open GL so the DX is recommended.

I expect this will change in the future, if it hasn't already (I may have missed a post saying it had changed).

I believe the version of CUDA is important also, maybe this is outlined in the FAQ? I don't believe 3D Coat runs with the latest CUDA (as they keep making massive changes to CUDA) and I haven't updated CUDA in well over a year or so, so I've lost track of which version I have installed.

But, I've been running the 'With CUDA 64 bit' in DX mode (from the 3D COAT 3.5 updates thread) as of late.

• Advanced Member

If you've downloaded the beta from http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634, I think there's a recent issue with Open GL so the DX is recommended.

I expect this will change in the future, if it hasn't already (I may have missed a post saying it had changed).

I believe the version of CUDA is important also, maybe this is outlined in the FAQ? I don't believe 3D Coat runs with the latest CUDA (as they keep making massive changes to CUDA) and I haven't updated CUDA in well over a year or so, so I've lost track of which version I have installed.

But, I've been running the 'With CUDA 64 bit' in DX mode (from the 3D COAT 3.5 updates thread) as of late.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I have installed the 266.66 CUDA driver. It's the only 1 available for the card. DX is working very nicely from what I have been doing thus far. I guess that's all that matters really. I am just a little confused as to what the program was recommending.

Thanks again, I'll stick with DX for now.