3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

My guess is there is some sort of tension setting that pulls the in-between polys thin?

Something along the lines... anyway is not big deal, end quads can be scaled, rotated and moved.

But of course in the polishing part I will try to make them all as even as possible or the sizing more evenly distributed.

I haven't made yet the tangent gizmos and this is not the final drawing from, is just a debug drawing.

• Like 3

Farsthary@Farsthary

- Solved an very important Intersection detection bug in SimpleStrokes

- continue working over QuadPaint

- Quad paint works over arbitrary contours (any number of sides, splits, shape, etc) hence its complexity...

CcWtFxbUEAI9zUm.jpg

CcWtF_tUEAAtsSL.jpg
CcWtFueUEAEo6KT.jpg
CcWtGCxUsAEPUHA.jpg
  • Like 2

Hi :)

I'm trying to hunt down the elusive mesh-explosion bug that some users are having.

Please if you have experienced that recently I would appreciate screenshots or conditions where it happens, any hint because I could not replicate them.

Cheers 

• Reputable Contributor

Hi :)

I'm trying to hunt down the elusive mesh-explosion bug that some users are having.

Please if you have experienced that recently I would appreciate screenshots or conditions where it happens, any hint because I could not replicate them.

Cheers 

Part of the reason could be the Undo Stack... I seen problems with the pose tool in voxel mode creating voxel mesh corruption when using undo.Yes it is not surface mode but a general problem with undo.

Sometimes undo still will just stop working... A glitch in the undo system... Test undo in surface mode, resample, undo, do some work, undo,resample again, then do some more work but no undo at the last.

test pose tool the same way. etc etc...

Rapid2 in the past had been a major cause of mesh corrpution, maybe coupled with undo it is causing problems. All the above is least a start.

Edit: I just produced this mesh corrpution right after reading your post and adding my comments.

Surface Mode.

Symmetry on the X axis.

Used Rapid2 with remove stretching selected. I some did work, resampled--- undo... did more work--- resampled, undo, did more work.. I did this several times.

Switched to Extrude clay... made some brush strokes and the mesh explosion bug appeared as seen in the attached images. The mesh corruption kept getting worse as I continue to make brush strokes, I did not show all mesh explosions in the pictures but the ones I do show are clearly seen.

I do not know if this is completely repeatable each and every time but again it is something to start with.

EDIT:2--My memory might fail me here but long ago at one time this was a problem. You would use rapid2 then switch to a liveclay brush and oh darn it. my pretty sculpt is having a bad sculpt day with the mesh shooting out all over...  :blink:

post-518-0-88719300-1457064784_thumb.png

post-518-0-70852100-1457065392_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Applink Developer

Hi Farsthary!

Here is a file for you and I promise that 100% bug find :) Follow these steps

1. Resample 

2. Press Undo

3. Resample again

4. Use Powerful Smoothing (Normal Smoothing works just fine in this case)

With these steps I can repeat the bug every time.

I seems that this problem is related to powerful smoothing and resample. 

EDIT: Sorry.. should have created the mantis report but i felt lazy :)

EDIT: It seams that "Smooth" from SHIFT action is only that using without destroing the mesh. all others actions destroy the mesh. 

testbug.7z

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

@haikalle hmm.. couldn't find the issue even on your testbug file.

http://recordit.co/y2CilX9cmB

As an extra note there are some tools, like rapid and rapid2 where is possible for mesh to become stretched and overlapping and if you continue to sculpt over stretched triangles or overlapping mesh of course it will grow into ill mesh, those tools by definition don't protect the mesh from the artist, in those cases small sanitation as you sculpt is advised, like smoothing here and there, may be an undo... that's not the type of bug I'm looking, but rather mesh "explosions" caused by inverted/uninitialized normals as show by digman picture.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

In all brushes in surface mode, you have to be careful how you build the mesh, not only Rapid2... It is polygon work after all and you are able to create polygon intersections if you are not careful. These are not mesh explosions but just polygon intersections which of course will get worse if you build upon

them. In my first post, I was in a hurry just trying to create a mesh explosion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another mesh corruption... 

Rapid2 work--- resample, undo--- same method as my first post several times.

extrude clay--- more brush work..

Res+

Mesh is now corrupted... The rapid 2 and extrude clay work in the first picture is on the left side of the object. The corrpution happened on both sides though the right side of the object went bonkers... :blink:

I believe the problems lies somewhere in undo and resampling though I am not a programmer. Or a combination of brush work... though I favor my first two guesses..

It is a nasty bug that can be reproduced... 

post-518-0-65491600-1457142174_thumb.png

post-518-0-43438200-1457142304_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1