3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

OK here's one little bug. if I use QuadPaint to create some polys sometimes the ones are the edge are not exactly right, which is fine. I go and adjust them with Brush or Move. But then if I go back to QuadPaint and try to continue using it, it sees the edge points in their old positions, not the new positions where I moved them. This can be easily fixed by just pressing the Clear button on the QuadPaint tools. That's why it's a little bug.

post-466-0-75045900-1463562399_thumb.jpg

CitnY-NWkAA1AVd.jpg

Basic test showing how to enforce a particular polygon flow inside a QuadPaint contour. Even if is not the optimal, nothing prevent the artist from doing it.

Basic test showing how to alter a QuadPaint contour, adding, removing vertices, creating pinned vertices...

• Like 1

Awesome tool but there is a problem when I navigate with orbit around .If my mouse hovers over a patch while Im orbiting it moves the patch spline can you put in a disable action while navigating please

Well, that particular bug is solved by now, I've adjusted the distance threshold to capture nearest point, in next update will be fixed

• Like 1

• Contributor

You know that we all hang from your kips yes?

BRING IT ONNNNNNN , need those tools for the projects i am working on this period so much that you really cant imagine.

THANK YOU.

So this is something interesting. See the attached 2 images. On the left I used QuadPaint to fill in the large "flat" areas, then used regular tools to do the detailed raised areas. I then flipped to the other side of the model and used QuadPaint to fill in everything on that side (seen in blue). You'll notice after I finished that all the details on the green side are gone. Is it possible the tension or something is causing all polys to become smoothed? I did not use Shift+Brush at all so nothing I did should have caused smoothing.

post-466-0-75852300-1463765971_thumb.jpg

@philnoland3d

Currently you do can dissable the smooth option in QuadPaint when you will do hard surfaces retopology and preserving details. is the "smooth" option besides "snap" in the tool menu.

Though I will improve it to make it specific to the current generated mesh.

• Like 1

I have a wish:
Is it possible to paint next curves with the same resolution like the one you set before?

The most time you need lower resoluted meshes and I have to alter the line always. This is a bit messy.

If possible it would be the best to set the line segment resolution for new lines to a fixed value of dots.

F.e.: When I paint a new line and set a fixed line resolution value to 5 then my new created lines are always sudivided by 5 segments.

I should be able to change them later of course like it is now.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, Taros said:

I have a wish:
Is it possible to paint next curves with the same resolution like the one you set before?

The most time you need lower resoluted meshes and I have to alter the line always. This is a bit messy.

If possible it would be the best to set the line segment resolution for new lines to a fixed value of dots.

F.e.: When I paint a new line and set a fixed line resolution value to 5 then my new created lines are always sudivided by 5 segments.

This

Or a way to with a modifier key held, to click and drag an existing stroke to duplicate it and reposition it.  That would be a lot faster.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Speaking of modifier keys...

It would be nice to use a Shift or Ctrl+Shift modifier to switch filling algorithm.  Along with 'Enter' to confirm/apply fill.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2016 at 9:30 AM, Taros said:

I have a wish:

isn't the resolution set by the brush size?  Larger brush = lower res?

Do you plan to add a bezier controlled lines mode or similar soon?

I have real problems with the current dynamic lines. They are extremely hard to control. When I want to change a curve, the others follow. This is really bad.

Dynamic lines like the ones you are using are contra productive for artists.

Don't forget: Artists do not use your tools for retopo only. Some people use them for professional laser cut pattern/templates too. In this case we need a exact line control like the the other tools in 3D Coat already offer since a long time.

Thank you
Chris

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Taros said:

Do you plan to add a bezier controlled lines mode or similar soon?

I have real problems with the current dynamic lines. They are extremely hard to control. When I want to change a curve, the others follow. This is really bad.

Dynamic lines like the ones you are using are contra productive for artists.

Don't forget: Artists do not use your tools for retopo only. Some people use them for professional laser cut pattern/templates too. In this case we need a exact line control like the the other tools in 3D Coat already offer since a long time.

Thank you
Chris

Very much agree. I tried to see if a modifier key suspended this action and it seemed that the CTRL key did to some extent, but it wasn't consistent. Could never tell if you had to press before you start adjusting or afterward. It has some potential in terms of "coolness" factor, but it needs to be more practical, first.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Finished implementing fixed count for Strokes in QuadPaint.

Awesome! That'll be a tremendous help when using the tool. Great job with the speed you've implemented these suggestions with!!