farsthary

Farsthary update channel

997 posts in this topic

I think that is slightly different as that feature (from one of the earlier videos) seems to relax/smooth the whole layer/model. In the latest videos (Extreme subdivision no displacement test) there is brushing which adds a lot of subdivision detail but it appears to keep the same details that were there before, so looks low res but actually very detailed.

What i was asking is when doing this brushing to add a lot of subdivision if it's possible to smooth/relax at the same time. So rather than keep the lower res look but actually have a higher detailed surface you just have a very high detailed but smooth and relaxed surface instantly as you brush in the extra subdivision.

I guess i just need to wait for the beta versions with this to test :)

Digital 777:

Raul's reply is as follows:

One thing i am wondering is with the really high subdivision will there be a way to smooth at >the same time? In one of the videos there is what seems to be low res details and in the >wireframe view it increases a lot in subdivision but the details remain the same, i know this >is a feature but if we wanted to soften the surface as it increases would that be possible with a slider/user options also?

Definately yes, the current code smooth but it preserves shapes, so the polygons "flow" over the surface without shrinking it, but offcourse there will be an option to allow the shrinkage effect and full smoothing :)

In a video you subdivide areas but can you brush really high details instantly? i guess what i >am asking is if the general workflow is subdivide a area you need then use the brush or if >you can just use the brush directly or maybe just either method, i am guessing you can just >use either way which will be great.

I'm not sure I understand this question ;) but the workflow is (subdivide/reduce)->smooth->deform on every LiveClay stroke , for the second video I disable the deform part intentionally just to show the subdivision engine, which by the way, I have improved a lot since that video ;)

The last thing i am wondering is as you can increase the subdivision so much will there be >some sort of detail reduction options also? if yes this would make it great for making low >poly game objects also.

Well, I guess I have answered that in the previous point: yes, in fact I will focus on the reduction part very soon and is a must :)

Thanks for the user feedback and opinions.

Cheers

Raul

That sounds really great thanks Raul, also thanks to Psmith for forwarding the reply's. :)

Raul is very busy implementing a hoard of brushes that work with LiveClay. He is also digging very deep to find the source of a bug that causes some face disconnection.

Shouldn't be too long, now.

Greg Smith

From Andrew:

I got source code for LiveClay from Raul, with some tweaks we got really smooth and nice result for clay-like brush! Beta test comes soon!

This is huge! Almost too much to handle :yahoo:

Wow 3DC is just getting better and better!!

May 19th Update From Raul:

I have good news for you and the community, I don't know if you know

them already, we have implemented (actually Andrew) a very important

milestone in LiveClay and the future of 3DC: subcells! , is the

posibility to refine any voxel to any level, previously 3DC used

static voxels so in order to increase resolution you have to add

globally more voxels, now you can refine any voxel into 8 subcells and

each of them into 8 more and so on! currently is in a raw state and

only functional for Surface LiveClay, it basically allows to have a

hierarchical dynamic mesh partition so performance of LiveClay is

fully local and is independent from the global mesh reosolution :)

you can keep adding more detail and detail in smaller and smaller

zones on the model as long as you want, I think this is awesome now

and a critical comercial feature, it can be used for the rest of the

bruses since the required changes was minimal :)

Moreover, for Volumetric LiveClay this is the foundation too so is

closer than you may think ;)

I'm currently dealing with improve and cleaning topology before

tackling mesh reduction (simplification pen)

Cheers

Raul

We are shaping a very powerfull 3D sculpting app :)

I can't wait to see what the 3dc community will come up with those tools. If it's half as good as I expect, sculpting will be limitless.

Is this in Voxel mode or Surface? I didn't know voxels came into play at all in Surface mode but I was under the impression that LiveClay was a Surface tool.

Phil,

yes and yes. If I understood correctly, dynamic tessellation is in surface mode, but the idea will be used in voxels mode as well.

After some experience in sculptris, the reducer brush will be the most important and crucial. Working on this, a fine tuning of the tools, a "golden section" is needed. Have you tried Sculptris?

if it works in voxels that would really be something. The only thing that worried me about this was being stuck in Surface mode, not be able to go back to Voxels. I used sculptris in it's early days, then once after pixologic got their mitts on it. I was never a huge fan, though it did improve some over time.

Imagine sculptris (some improvement there -beta tester here lol) with the ability of boolean operations, holes etc. It was my dream.

Go for retopo then, a dream of pixologic. lol. Go for after retopo multires sculpting then... a dream of 3dcoat.

I love workflows, I tested it, using 3dc>sculptris>3dc>zb or any other combination. Phil, its avery powerful combination indeed.

Soon you'll have it in one package.

Here something interesting I found

http://vimeo.com/14986178

It resembles a voxel adaptation of ptex methods. Cross fertilization!

Here something interesting I found http://vimeo.com/14986178

This indeed looks very interesting as also the latest Meshmixer-Developments. Seems that adaptive Meshing can offer Features which get

pretty close in some area to what is doable with Voxels - with the added advantage that Textures are supported already while Sculpting,

Great work with the beta of LiveClay, i have recently been wondering if LiveClay will have CUDA acceleration at some point? It seems quite fast already though but that will make it even faster. :)

I posted some bugs i found here but you probably know about all of these already - http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&view=findpost&p=62711

By the way i just noticed someone posted on your blog that the link to the beta download is broken, i tried it and got a 404 error.

Just wanted to send a huge thanks your way Raul and my appreciation towards both you and Andrew for this collaboration. I've been playing around with the workflow I've always wanted in a single app and loving the results. The freedom of voxels to block out combined with detail work in surface/live clay mode is amazing! I'm getting a massive precision boost without sacrificing performance as I only use live clay on the areas I want to fine tune.

Cheers and thanks for all your effort!

James

We are getting much closer to a full version of LiveClay.

Good news! I'm almost finishing surface LiveClay, Dynamic Mesh Reduce

tool is implemented along with Dynamic Mesh Refine and few other

interesing combination of both ;) I have sended today the code to

Andrew for feedback and few small bugs hunting.

And also I have implemented radial symmetry! this will be a very

useful and desired tool ;)

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Raul