3DCoat Forums

meshmixer like sculptris

Meshmixer is cool, didn't know it was available for use already. I played around with it, and while it's not at the point where I'd use it for art, there's a lot of potential. It'd be cool if 3dc had mesh mixing and mesh booleans after getting dynamic subdivision. Merging to voxels could be avoided altogether and the performance/detail ratio could be optimized (maybe smaller file sizes too?).

Edit: and another thing, dealing with a mesh instead of voxels could allow for masking and possibly some type of poly paint

• Advanced Member

Reminds me a lot of 3DC's object merge but it seems nicer as you can edit the position and size etc once it's already been placed. In my opinion it allows a nicer way to position things as you don't have to do it directly and also not have to adjust values etc unless needed as it has the rotate/scale/translate widget thing which is really useful.

Very cool though, i had seen a older version of this and thought it was ok but it seems much better now. I don't get what the brushes do without documentation but i probably wouldn't use that feature much anyway other than smooth after merging. I will probably use this for some low poly work and it seems like a good tool to work along with 3DC, hopefully there could be a app link in the future also.

• Contributor

Correct, it's better than Sculptris as Sculptris can't intuitively blend separate meshes. MeshMixer might be pushing 3DCoat before too long if they develop any kind of retopo tools.

I'm sorry but 3DCoat and Sculptris are 1.000.000.000 years ahead in terms of brush behaviors and sculpting precision.

It will take far more than retopo tools for this app to reach the level of 3DCoat. :)

But its still very cool...and also free.

I'm sorry but 3DCoat and Sculptris are 1.000.000.000 years ahead in terms of brush behaviors and sculpting precision.

It will take far more than retopo tools for this app to reach the level of 3DCoat. :)

But its still very cool...and also free.

Uh...3D-Coat developed at a pretty feverish pace to jump into the third position in the market behind ZBrush and MudBox, maybe fourth if Blender sculptors are as many as I think and 3D-Coat did it in less than two years I believe. Don't be so naive as to believe it's impossible for another group of people to do the same thing.

It was less than a year ago that MeshMixer was a novelty app that allowed people to automagically blend different meshes together with usable looking smooth transition. Now not only have they improved the mesh mixing and the UI for mesh mixing significantly, they also added sculpting tools and they're doing it with adaptive tessellation techniques which most DCC developers outside of games are just now starting to explore. The biggest drawbacks at this point are not necessarily the sculpting precision (something that is user dependent), but the precision of marking lines/ selections etc and low resolution of meshes. Even with the limited selection of brushes now anyone looking at the demo videos and seeing the wires adaptively tessellate, very cleanly, under brush stress can see that the brush engine foundation is strong. It's not going to take them very long to exponentially increase the number of brushes they have. Ryan Schmidt is also working on ShapeShop3D where you can already see the beginning of marking line/selection line smoothness interpolation. It all depends on the level of development that goes into this app of the next year and beyond that will determine everything, but it has a lot going for it.

• Advanced Member
... 3D-Coat did it in less than two years I believe. Don't be so naive as to believe it's impossible for another group of people to do the same thing.

not to be overly pedantic but (I will) :D I bought my license for '3d-brush' in Dec '07, and I was probably

something like 3-4 months late to the party.....so, closer to 3.5 years in public development.

And rather than get in a big debate over it, I'm pretty much in agreement with Gilded. ;)

Always happy to see more tools on the table.

• Advanced Member

Tesselation is something that is worth to be explored.

But, I'd be very sad if voxel way was discarded from 3dC one day.

I think it will be hard for software like Sculptris or Mesh Mixer to allow users to open

holes in a mass or use boolean while sculpting. Sculptris like applications provides hollow meshes...

Being abble to use both way in 3dC would be fine.

But I wonder if it won't make a monster app of it, impossible to run on basic pc

if too much things are added. Bug tracking will become more and more hard too.

Hope developpement will be ok.