3DCoat Forums

New to 3dCoat

hotgreenchilli

Hello,

I am new to 3dCoat, so please excuse me if some of my questions are from a novice user. My goal is to use 3dcoat to modify jewelry designs built in SolidWorks. For now, I have been focused on learning the voxels tool set. I have leaned to import stl files, move them using the the Adjust tools (pose and transpose tools) merge designs, and use the mask features. I will need some more time in grade before I feel like I have truly mastered the pen tools, but from what I can do already, I really like what I can do with 3DCoat.

I may not currently have the best computer for 3dCoat, but an upgrade is in the future.

I am learning to use the object tools (curve,snake,spikes) with the spline option. I was able to create a spline profile and use it with these tools. I do have a couple of questions regarding the spline tool. What are the rules for creating a spline? I have found that the y-axis is the direction of growth, but what controls the zero angle location? How do I create a spline profile so that a side of the spline is always in contact with a surface? What controls the placement of the spline on the surface?

I can trace a Snake curve without smoothing by setting the smoothing rate to zero. Is there a way to smooth the curve the end of the trace (i.e. adjust the smoothing rate after I trace the curve)?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I am learning to use the object tools (curve,snake,spikes) with the spline option. I was able to create a spline profile and use it with these tools. I do have a couple of questions regarding the spline tool. What are the rules for creating a spline? I have found that the y-axis is the direction of growth, but what controls the zero angle location? How do I create a spline profile so that a side of the spline is always in contact with a surface? What controls the placement of the spline on the surface?

I don't have 3DC in front of me atm, but I believe there is an option in the tool options panel for the spline tool that should say something to the effect of "stick to surface", or some such thing. It might even be on the top panel, near the room tabs.

I can trace a Snake curve without smoothing by setting the smoothing rate to zero. Is there a way to smooth the curve the end of the trace (i.e. adjust the smoothing rate after I trace the curve)?

Unfortunately not at the moment. I love this idea. I'll be sure to forward it to Andrew.

One more new user question: In the voxels window, how do I create an open spline? I can see how to use the closed spline tool, but not how to create an open spline.

Thanks,

Steve

There should be an option in the tool options panel for this. If you don't see it outright, try scrolling the panel up/down. It is definitely in there somewhere! :)

Thanks for the reply to my questions. I am really looking forward to using 3DCoat as part of my work flow. My new computer (i7-2600K, Sabertooth P67 motherboard, 16GB ram, two 120 gb intel solid state drives, 64 bit W7, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Space Pilot, Wacom tablet) will be arriving next week.

Steve

I don't have 3DC in front of me atm, but I believe there is an option in the tool options panel for the spline tool that should say something to the effect of "stick to surface", or some such thing. It might even be on the top panel, near the room tabs.

I did find this option, it is a check box called Conform. How do I build a spline profile in a way that one side is always the sticky side? Does a spline profile have a preferred xyz orientation or origin location?

Thanks,

Steve

I don't think there is anything like a sticky side, but there could be. If there isn't, there should be. Great idea, especially for jewelry design.

The way to test for this would be to build a sample "spline" that has an identifiable "bottom", and import it and try it. Maybe I'll have some time to try this, myself.

Also, you can examine how to create your own, custom splines by looking in the "VoxStamps/Splines" directory inside the "3D-Coat-Ver3" folder.

A spline is, really, just a small .obj "segment" that repeats, end placed on end. You can make your own, save it in .obj format, snap a "preview" of it and save it in .png format, then add both, (with similar names) to the folder mentioned above.

Greg Smith

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I have been able to create my own spline profile and love this feature. I really like the way that I can add it with a simple "click" on the "+" within the spline box. You are correct that this feature is really useful for adding features to jewelry designs. If I have a part that I have built in the past, say a bail or dangle, I simple save it as a spline profile and add it to the design.

The free-form option under the Voxel/Object/primitives/tool options is really powerful as a jewelry design feature. If I have a ring shank that I have designed in the past, then I can import it and add to it. The ability to deform the design using the 2x2 or 6x6 control mesh is really cool. Is there a way to have the mesh result in a smooth transformation? The linear feature is OK, but allow us to select a node and control smoothness would be even cooler.

Steve