3DCoat Forums

ZBRUSH + 3D COAT

psicozer

There are many great ways to combine these two programs, however if you're wanting to do some retopology, try exporting your mesh from Zbrush as an .obj, then in 3DC choose file>import>reference mesh. You can then go to the retopo room and begin making faces!

Alternatively, you could also import it for Autopo, which will voxelize it before automatically doing a retopology. Ultimately it depends on your needs, but try both and see which gives you the best results!

Hi all, could someone link or explain to me a efficient way to combine both programs? i would like to sculpt on zbrush and then retopo on 3d coat but im really new on both programs so i would like to know a basic way to do that :C thanks in advance

There are many great ways to combine these two programs, however if you're wanting to do some retopology, try exporting your mesh from Zbrush as an .obj, then in 3DC choose file>import>reference mesh. You can then go to the retopo room and begin making faces!

Alternatively, you could also import it for Autopo, which will voxelize it before automatically doing a retopology. Ultimately it depends on your needs, but try both and see which gives you the best results!

Thanks for the answer, but i have to ask, once that i retepo something on 3D Coat how do i do to import the retopo model to zbrush and then project the details that it had on zbrush? (assuming that i sculpt it , detail it and then export it to 3D coat)

Thanks in advance, im new on 3d coat and zbrush (if you know a good guide pls let me know )

PS. english is not my mother lenguage sorry for mistakes

Generally the Autopo workflow looks like this:

--export from Zbrush as .obj

--import to 3DCoat for Autopo

--use brush to mark dense areas and then draw guides (optional)

--make seams and unwrap

--export as .obj

--re-import to Zbrush

--subdivide a few times (this helps Zbrush catch more detail when you project from the original mesh to the new topology)

--select both old and new subtools, choose Project All

--if Polypaint was used, it's also possible to convert this to a Texture Map (optional)

--at this point you can lower the res

The results of Autopo depend on many factors, so it may not be perfect. For best results, it's worth the time and effort to manually retopo. Same thing for UV's; the auto-seam feature does a quick job and looks good, but may not be the cleanest. You can mark seams manually and then unwrap before sending it back to Zbrush.

The purpose of the Project All command in Zbrush is to transfer the deformation and polypaint from the original to the new mesh; it helps to subdivide the new mesh a few times, and then after you Project All, it can be lowered again.

Attached is a quick .pdf I made. It may not be the best tutorial, but will hopefully at least get you started!

Thanks for the answer, but i have to ask, once that i retepo something on 3D Coat how do i do to import the retopo model to zbrush and then project the details that it had on zbrush? (assuming that i sculpt it , detail it and then export it to 3D coat)

Thanks in advance, im new on 3d coat and zbrush (if you know a good guide pls let me know )

PS. english is not my mother lenguage sorry for mistakes

autopo_workflow_steps.pdf

• Like 1

--make seams and unwrap

--export as .obj

--re-import to Zbrush

--subdivide a few times (this helps Zbrush catch more detail when you project from the original mesh to the new topology)

--if Polypaint was used, it's also possible to convert this to a Texture Map (optional)

The results of Autopo depend on many factors, so it may not be perfect. For best results, it's worth the time and effort to manually retopo. Same thing for UV's; the auto-seam feature does a quick job and looks good, but may not be the cleanest. You can mark seams manually and then unwrap before sending it back to Zbrush.

The purpose of the Project All command in Zbrush is to transfer the deformation and polypaint from the original to the new mesh; it helps to subdivide the new mesh a few times, and then after you Project All, it can be lowered again.

Attached is a quick .pdf I made. It may not be the best tutorial, but will hopefully at least get you started!

Thanks for documenting your steps! This validates the workflow I was experimenting with, and provides a solid path forward for anyone wanting to integrate 3D coat into a ZBrush pipeline.

Thanks, I hope it made sense! There are many ways to go about it, and that's just one method. Of course, if you manually retopo and UV the results do turn out better, but the auto results are good for quick tests. As you can see, the ear of the cow mesh caved-in a little bit during the process, so that's an area that the auto results didn't handle well.

Also, it's probably better to retopo before doing any Polypainting in Zbrush, but if you have already done it, it can be Projected to the new mesh and then converted into a texture map to keep the model light.

Thanks for documenting your steps! This validates the workflow I was experimenting with, and provides a solid path forward for anyone wanting to integrate 3D coat into a ZBrush pipeline.

--make seams and unwrap

--export as .obj

--re-import to Zbrush

Wow , thank you very much for the explanation it was very clear and helped me a lot! To retopo manually it would be the same steps replacing the autoretopo ones for the normal retopo ones(importing the mesh from zbrush as a reference mesh) right? Again thanks, you are an awesome community!

Yes, exactly the same steps! I hope this has helped, and if you discover any tips or tricks going between the two programs, share them, as there are many ways that 3DC and Zbrush can work together!

Wow , thank you very much for the explanation it was very clear and helped me a lot! To retopo manually it would be the same steps replacing the autoretopo ones for the normal retopo ones(importing the mesh from zbrush as a reference mesh) right? Again thanks, you are an awesome community!