3DCoat Forums

Cycles new blender internal rendering engine

• Advanced Member

Blender builds with cycles render engine are ready for downloading and testing. A great renderer even in a pre alpha stage. Try it.

This gonna change the whole blender UI. A nodal system is always the best. A great, physically correct GI renderer!

A long discussion here

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?216113-Brecht-s-easter-egg-surprise-Modernizing-shading-and-rendering

A small tut here

Doodling and testing cycles. The interactive preview is excellent. No cuda OSX build, 1200x1200, 200 passes, 3 min. On dual xeon nehalem.

dev2.jpg

• Advanced Member

I think that is great news. However i like the current render engine a lot, i wonder what happends to animation with Cycles i believe you either have a lot of noise or the rendertimes are endless.

I see that a lot of people have asked for a true GI render engine and a user friendly UI but as a old time professional user i dont know if i can put that into use.

Anyway, if you want correct lighting there has been many alternatives like Yafray, Luxrender, Thea Render, Indigo, Octane and more which Cycles now has to beat. The "old" renderer has benefits of its own and was greatly improved in Blender 2.5+, it renders extremely fast and can deliver pretty pictures and animations.

• Advanced Member

@Grandmaster B

No way to go back now, we gonna love the new engine. What's more important is that this new engine is gonna change the whole blender UI.

The nodal system makes more sense than the old (with all this inconsistency in texture data)

It's too early but in a few months ... for the moment I'm in love and I much prefer it than yafa or lux.

The interactive preview is great. And fast even on non cuda but hi speed CPUs

• Advanced Member

So he is making it like octane renderer? I have octane renderer and its nice if you have secondary video card to use otherwise there's no way to use it on a a pc with single video card. I wonder if cycles can turn on/off gpu rendering and just use cpu or vice versa so user has choice.

• Advanced Member
Seems so fast already! Are textures supported yet? I havent seen any renderings with textures.

I believe, if anything they'll prefer OpenCL over CUDA.

So far, we can compare GPU cuda vs various CPU

A really expensive dual xeon nehalem 16 threads CPU performs similarly to a cheap GT240 cuda!!! LOL

When coming on using heavy texture maps, when vram or ram is needed... CPU is more reliable (maybe not) , its too early though.

Of course maps are supported, see my first post.

There're still problems related to the blender UI. Especially when true displacement maps are in use.

Cycles wont support normal maps (it's not a scanline render engine anyway)

I was the bad boy in blenderartists (as usual) when complaining for the inconsistency of blender UI (materials editor)

Now I'm happy LOL, it was expected. They'll fix it soon. The new nodal system is great. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

hey tildee, read my first post :)

Getting involved with blender? I suppose you'll also try blenderartists.org.

Nodal system is very easy to use. It is also supported by a properties palette but you don't really need it.

Some more links from tests

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?216866-Cycles-tests-the-new-blender-CPU-GPU-renderer-of-awesomeness

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?217875-Sculpture-cycles-tests

• Advanced Member

I see, it is really broken. Sorry.

All materials, lights etc, we call them enclosures.

We can mix them (mix enclosure node) etc etc. Everything is possible.

the enclosure has an input (color or texture), the texture has a vector input (method, UV in our case)

Enclosure is also the light source. Emission simple surfaces. The smaller they are the sharper the shadows.

This seems a bit strange but have in mind that OCL supports emissions only. OCL is what they have in mind.

I'll write a tutorial soon (but things change rapidly). Meanwhile I hope this helps.

post-2454-0-57738900-1305837669_thumb.jp

Hey, that's really great. I expected to hear a greek accent of you, but you speak like a native english speaker.

A BIG "thank you" for your video tutorial.

Even it's a bit hard to follow because of the low resolution of the video.

I will try tomorrow night. Now it's time for bed.

• Advanced Member
ey, that's really great. I expected to hear a greek accent of you, but you speak like a native english speaker.

hey, it isn't my voice neither my tutorial. LOL

It's the broken link. I don't remember the name of this guy from blenderartists.org. but he comes from US.

If you're interested so much, join this forum. I don't see any better way to learn some blender.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

For all who may interested, here's a way to simulate zbrush shaders. Even better I could say.

I baked a cavity map, inverted it and colorized in Ps. Used via nodes system.

nodesSetup.jpg

And the cycles render

ArtiCyclesTest.jpg