3DCoat Forums

Scale and location matching

patternmaker

Hi, I asked about this in the New User's forum and no one seems to have an answer. I want to be able to import a group of models made in Rhino and put each model on a different layer in the voxel room. What I can't figure out is how to get the different models to come out the same relative size and in the same location as they were in the original Rhino file. That way I can sculpt each piece so that it fits correctly with the other pieces near it. Is it even possible to do this in 3D Coat? So far the way I am doing this is to scale the parts by eye and move them around by eye, and since they're organic shapes, it is really hard to get this accurate.

Many Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Hi, I asked about this in the New User's forum and no one seems to have an answer. I want to be able to import a group of models made in Rhino and put each model on a different layer in the voxel room. What I can't figure out is how to get the different models to come out the same relative size and in the same location as they were in the original Rhino file. That way I can sculpt each piece so that it fits correctly with the other pieces near it. Is it even possible to do this in 3D Coat? So far the way I am doing this is to scale the parts by eye and move them around by eye, and since they're organic shapes, it is really hard to get this accurate.

Many Thanks!

Yes, you ask for is possible. All you have to make sure is that you check "merge to separate Objects" in the Merge-Dialog. Then for each of

your Rhino Objects a separate Voxel-Layer gets created.

You can still scale the objects at Import to control their Voxel-Density, you only have to tell 3DCoat to remember the original size when the Popup

asks you after hitting "Apply".

Thanks very much for your reply! Do I understand that for this to work the way I want, I will need to make just one obj file that contains all the models, then use the "merge to separate Objects" command? In other words, it will not work by importing the models one at a time and making a new layer for each model, right?

I'm getting closer to my goal here, but still having problems. I've found that I should import the objects one at a time. They seem to scale correctly and locate correctly, but not always. Out of a group of 7 objects, 4 imported exactly right, 2 imported right size but wrong location, and one imported wrong size and wrong location. Here is my sequence:

1) select a main layer

2)from the "file" menu, select "merge object"

3) in the merge dialogue, with "merge to separate volumes" checked, I click "autoscale" then "subdivide" then "apply".

4) I click "grow" to finish merging the layer

5) I go back to file menu, repeat from step 2

The objects all appear in their own layers below the main layer as I think they should.

What should I do differently to get all the objects to import right?

Thanks!

Hi patternmaker,

I'm using Rhino & MoI in conjunction with 3DC for jewellery work, so my approach is a little different to yours.

From either Rhino or MoI, I'll Export the needed model out as an STL file for use with 3DC.

In Voxel Room create a Layer & typically I'll start out by increasing the resolution 2X for this Layer (click the "Res+" button).

Right click the Layer & select: Import > Merge object

Using the Merge Tool Options, select; Scale & I use 10 > click the Apply button

Next click on Grow or Smooth to complete everything.

Doing it this way I've had no real issues, especially with the placement of parts coming in from MoI or Rhino.

Although in my case there's usually only 2 or 3 parts at most.

HTH, Colin