3DCoat Forums

Normalmap why is not the same if it is simmetric?

ozukaru

• Advanced Member

I got this low poly (retopo) over my voxel model, then as it is simmetric I do the following procedure to get uv's applied to the simmetric model:

1-retopo/Uv one side.

2-Activate symmetry.

3-Press "Apply symmetry" from retopo menu.

4-Disable symmetry

5-Merge for perpixel paint with normalmap

so I assume the same "pixels" are applied to both sides (inverted I guess)

as you can see one side is PERFECT (the top one) while not so the other side.... why? how can be this if is the same texture? (the uv's are suposedly overlaped), needless to say that the mesh was created simmetrically too

btw if I bake only one side the normal map is always perfect.

show2g.jpg

show1k.jpg

is there a way to tweak the normal map baking process?

Can we see the UV normal map? I haven't tried it yet but there's a fairly new feature that allows you to copy / paste UV islands So you could copy the left island and paste it to the right and it should match up perfectly, that might help perhaps.

• Advanced Member

Can we see the UV normal map? I haven't tried it yet but there's a fairly new feature that allows you to copy / paste UV islands So you could copy the left island and paste it to the right and it should match up perfectly, that might help perhaps.

ok this is:

show1ba.th.jpg

I tryed another aproach, instead of retopo one side, auto-seams, unwrap, activate simmetry, retopo->apply_simmetry and merge for pixel...

I this time did this: retopo one side, activate simmetry, retopo->apply_simmetry, auto-seam, unwrap, and merge for pixel...

the uv's islands in this case is, this below. Of course there is no overlapping but at least the result was perfect... am using v3.500

show2g.th.jpg

is the low poly mesh exactly symmetrical? Only thing I can think of is if the mapping/normal map calculation is being warped a bit on that side by the mesh not being perfectly symmetrical, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not.

• Advanced Member

is the low poly mesh exactly symmetrical? Only thing I can think of is if the mapping/normal map calculation is being warped a bit on that side by the mesh not being perfectly symmetrical, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not.

I dont think so because only to try I merged only one side and the result was good, and then when using the overlapping uv's tecnique then precisely that side (the one before was perfect) is the side with troubles.