3DCoat Forums

Sculpted object's displacement is totally wrong

paulrus

• Advanced Member

I have an object that basically started out as a cube (missing the top and bottom). I did a LOT of work in the Sculpt room as well as in Paint.

The problem I'm having is with the displacement map I'm getting when I export. I use mid-poly export to get the altered geometry, but the displacement map contains all the information needed to change my cube into the final object. So the displacement comes out totally wrong.

I'm really stuck now and I've got a client waiting to see some tests. Is there any way to get around this problem? I've tried every variety of displacement export I can find in 3DC and none of them give me the correct information.

Thanks,

Paul

Could this be a similar issue to other programs not displaying normal maps from 3D Coat correctly? I admit I haven't used displacement yet, so I don't know how it works.. but I have noticed that my normals are always displayed incorrectly when I export and view my model in other 3d programs (marmoset toolbag, unity 3d). I've never gotten anything displaying correctly in Marmoset from 3D Coat, which sucks, but for Unity 3D I have to invert the Green channel in an image editing program for it to use the normal map correctly.

• Applink Developer

Hi Paulrus!

Could you explain what was your workflow. Did you start with voxel and created cube there. Or did you imported it directly into paint room?

And did you use PPP or Micro-verts?

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

I started with a basic cube shape out of Softimage that was missing the top and bottom. I used the connection to 3DC to send it over to set up the UVs. After I set up the UVs I bounced between the Sculpt room and paint to work on it until I got what I want.

Because I had changed it so much, I knew it would be best to export the mid-poly version, so that's what I chose.

However, when you pick this option and include the displacement maps, the displacement maps you get are for the original cube, not the mid-poly mesh. So it's almost like double displacement.

The only solution I've found is, I had to do all my sculpt work on 1 layer, then any fine details in another layer. Then save out the mid-poly mesh without displacement. Then, export the displacement for the detail layer only and apply that to the mid-poly mesh.

To me this is a really clunky workaround and I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to work, so I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Paul

... Then, export the displacement for the detail layer only and apply that to the mid-poly mesh.

To me this is a really clunky workaround and I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to work, so I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi, paulrus, I have similiar problems trying to obtain an displacement texture from the differece of LoWPoly and Voxel. Exporting it with all the other stuff from the painting room I only will get a displacement from the painting-deepinfos, but not of the difference from voxel to retopo (my LowPoly). Or if I use the texture baking tool, I will obtain a really wrong displacement texture, with lines or wrong quadrangular interferences. So I am forced to use the free xnormal program, but I think that 3Dcoat must be able to do the job too, or not?

In the manual-tab there is a link:

A.1 Voxels to low-poly mesh with displacement,

but without text! Exactly this would help us to solve our displacement-texture problems, or is there (here) anyone who can help us with a short step-by-step tutorial? Or a link to it?

Thanks!

Dieter