3DCoat Forums

I am sooo lost on painting a simple color

fineartist

post-2556-0-02576000-1305934726_thumb.jpHi,

I have had nothing but problems trying to paint a simple color to stay in it's UV map of a hat with a hat band. I have searched for what I am doing wrong, but have had no luck.

1) I made a hat in lightwave... Model size is 1 ft tall

2) Imported the lwo into 3D Coat with a 2k texture size ( I tried all ways of object with and without smoothing, etc... )

3) Made a UV map

4) brought into texture editor to paint....this is where I can't for the life of me figure it out. tried the smooth settings, fade setting for brush, padding, etc...

I included a screen shot showing the toothing on the edge of the hat band when I paint (or even do a fill on) it. I tried brush smoothing, no luck.... I tried making a higher rez texture when I imported the model a different time, no luck....

I looked high and low in everything I could think of but just not getting it to work right.

I notice when I paint colors on different islands, the colors very slightly bleed into other polys, and the only way I can smooth them out is to directly paint on the mesh with everything showing, but then that defeats the purpose of having separate isolated areas in a UV map.

I'm sure (at least I hope) I am overlooking something.... has anyone else had this issue? and know how to fix it??

are you painting within the Texture Editor window? That gives me the jagged edges when painting there, because it conforms the painted area to the wireframe. If you paint directly on the 3d view along that jagged edge, it should paint fine and blend across the unwrapped wireframe islands.

You just have 1 layer currently, so the bottom layer you think you're seeing, the white blocks in the texture editor? Is actually just the gutter space I think, to help with resizing the texture image.

You might want to try adding a new layer, maybe use the lowest layer as a solid color base (unless you want it to be gray). You can flood-fill within specific islands, or within the entire model I think, depending on where you click in the layer (in or outside wireframe islands) Or if you click on parts of the model in the 3d view.

I'm still new to the paint tab so there might be more obvious info I'm missing..

What's weird is if I try to paint on the mesh right to a seam and not have it bleed over, it still comes out choppy and I can't have it a smooth, sharp line. I know I am probably not thinking of this right, but if the UV map can show each checkered pattern sharp on the edges and no bleed into another poly, why can't the painting??

I did try the extra layer, but I still have the same issue...

Unfortunately, for what I am working on, I have to have a sharp edge to the painting, and it would be murder to work on the pattern in photoshop.

Speaking of photoshop, is there a way to have the wireframe export on a layer with the design when I do have to paint in it?