3DCoat Forums

has anyone tried to make terrain with voxels?

ozukaru

In voxel surface mode, try a combination of the "Rapid" tool the "Scratches 2" tool and the "Mud" tool to get some very nice geologic strata effects.

But, that's only one way to do it - in the Paint Room, simply having some very good geologic photo reference textures allows you to paint that kind of displacement using Micro-vertex painting, as well.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Voxels are the ideal tool for terrain, rocks, ruined hard surf architectural subjects etc.

Use background masks and airbrush +-.

As these aren't animated in most cases, here the tip. Export a full decimated mesh under vox layer palette and import it in retopo room as cage. Do UVs and bake. Painting room is also ideal to add more crisp details as bumps. The PPP mode doesn't export displacement maps captured from voxels but exports the painted ones as disp maps - bumps. The MV mode remains my favorite.

• Advanced Member

Voxels are great for terrains, another program called voxelogic Acropora does it really well. A link -

http://www.voxelogic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=26

It would be nice if 3DC had some better tools for that type of mesh generation using maths also. I guess in 3DC using a top view and terrain alpha masks when sculpting could be another option.

Farsthary also did some procedural planet making things for blender a while ago, maybe this could be done in LiveClay/voxels as it could be very interesting i think -

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/new-planet-procedural-texture/

• 1 month later...

I have always thought about 3DC as a great terrain modeling tool.

But from thinking through creating and exploring it in any engine it's a loooooong way. ;)

It took me almost a year (isn't it too long ?? :) ) to develop how to create any type of terrain.

And create it in the way that makes it possible to texture it.

Painting it like a height map generated land is not possible.

So I had to create different way to texture large areas.

Too much words I think.

You have to see it to tell how it looks :)

You are kindly welcome :)

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8384

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried making terrain. the camera is a object centric camera. do this right, you'd really need a "walk" fps style camera I think.

I have thought about making a feature request for the same thing but didn't because I feared I would be called crazy for suggesting a sculpting app would benefit from such a camera mode. 3D Coat's voxel sculpting however makes it different from other sculpting apps. With the ability to move the camera this way you could easily do all sorts of unique things in 3D Coat, like hollowing out a cave shape from the inside, which would not be possible in any other app. It is something that would be mainly of interest to people wanting to use 3D Coat in the development of game terrain assets, but others could benefit from it too.

I would suggest however that a 'fly' rather than a 'walk' mode, controlled by the WASD keys, would be the way to do it. Apps such as 3ds Max and Softimage have camera modes like this. If the makers of 3D Coat are willing to consider this please look at the 3ds Max or Softimage free trials for the proper way to do it (see attached image). As an example of the wrong way the way it was done in Blender is very poor.

post-6307-0-31818600-1312271963_thumb.pn