3DCoat Forums

GroBotoWorks 3D

• Advanced Member

Being one of the supporters of this excellent app, did a lot of tests. It is a great zb helper app. Indeed, exporting a different variation of UVs you can automatically have edges or seams masked leading to some impressive and fast hard surf modeling. The problem is to just hide the groboto style LOL. Here I found gb extremely useful as a base mesh for sculptris work. As it's difficult in sc to construct holes (not impossible though) Of course all topology is gone there after dynamic tessellation actions. But it's a fast app. Now, coming to 3DC, we can directly paint these quad UV booleans of course. But we can drop them to voxels? Always inspiring to have something to play with but not much use I guess. Voxels are a perfect boolean editor. Topology is needed after :mellow:

Being one of the supporters of this excellent app, did a lot of tests. It is a great zb helper app. Indeed, exporting a different variation of UVs you can automatically have edges or seams masked leading to some impressive and fast hard surf modeling. The problem is to just hide the groboto style LOL. Here I found gb extremely useful as a base mesh for sculptris work. As it's difficult in sc to construct holes (not impossible though) Of course all topology is gone there after dynamic tessellation actions. But it's a fast app. Now, coming to 3DC, we can directly paint these quad UV booleans of course. But we can drop them to voxels? Always inspiring to have something to play with but not much use I guess. Voxels are a perfect boolean editor. Topology is needed after :mellow:

I have also been early supporter of this program mainly be-course obvious possibilities with ZBrush. With 3D-Coat this gives fast way to make nature/fractal like forms. Haven't had still time to try this out with voxels but should be interesting to make some leafs or complex shells with it. Maybe voxels could soften surfaces out GroBoto'ish meshes.

Something like this? a groboto mesh but some fast actions in 3dcoat voxels. A zb render

d.jpg

Just like that =D 3D-Coats voxels rules. My summer holiday starts tomorrow but that means - unfortunately - no computers in two weeks.... arrrggggh!!! *itching* *to* *try* *that* *out*

I perhaps would go with some noise from ZBrush - something like Ancaporas surfaces - and make some wild ecosystem in Vue or maybe throw that to Modo and give it some material with worn edges and some dirt on it. It's nice to have possibilities. I like that material of yours :)

Just like that =D 3D-Coats voxels rules. My summer holiday starts tomorrow but that means - unfortunately - no computers in two weeks.... arrrggggh!!! *itching* *to* *try* *that* *out*

I perhaps would go with some noise from ZBrush - something like Ancaporas surfaces - and make some wild ecosystem in Vue or maybe throw that to Modo and give it some material with worn edges and some dirt on it. It's nice to have possibilities. I like that material of yours :)

LOL...you guys are good. This is what i got using blender and Groboto.

It's suppose to be a martini

post-6744-0-20191500-1309320748_thumb.pn

Taros, spacepainter, The Candy-floss Kid, michalis, jpvikholm, Frenchy Pilou, jcue

Hi all.

I'm GroBoto's founding developer.

Just wanted to say it's great to see a discussion going here.

michalis, Frenchy Pilou... hi guys, nice to see some familiar 'faces'

I hope I have time to play with 3DCoat/GroBoto hybrid works... I think the potential is enormous.

Of course, it's difficult to find time -- those of you who know me also know how tiny a team we are at GroBoto (not to mention that I have near-zero expertise in 3DCoat)...

So, I really look forward to seeing what any & all 3DCoat Artists come up with.

As you experiment & play, please let us know how we can help the two apps fully synergize.

Best Wishes,

Darrel

• Advanced Member
As you experiment & play, please let us know how we can help the two apps fully synergize.

But you did it already :clapping:

Groboto exports nice UVs and great boolean topology (and not huge meshes if you know how). Just import them in 3dcoat and paint nice textures and bumps.

To import them as voxels is OK but not of great use (except the case of complicated fractal meshes) as 3dcoat voxels are also a 'paradise' of booleans.

LOL...you guys are good. This is what i got using blender and Groboto.

It's suppose to be a martini

I got some strange dejavu from povray renders :) I tested GroBoto and 3D-Coat voxels last night hastily. I saved one Groboto's sample bot as obj and imported it to 3D-Coat as voxels. After using transform tools, smooth, fill and smudge, I saved voxel model as obj. After reducing polycount in Atangeo Balancer I did throw it Vue 9.5 Infinite. All went quite well, but I should have reduced polycout little more - I didn't dare to render it =D and clock was already past midnight. I try that again today and give you rough render if I only have time.

Edit: Here is quick render from Vue. It's not exactly what I had in mind. I like the lights and surfaces though. Let's see what You have come up with in 2 weeks =D Enjoy the sun.

post-6449-0-66246300-1309382691_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Hi groBoto,

I think one thing that would be great is a app link for groboto. They make it quick to send objects to and from other programs and 3DC now has quite a few of these for various different programs -

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showforum=60

As a owner of both 3DC and GroBoto i think it would be really great to be able to use the 2 programs together quickly/easily.

• Advanced Member

I am thinking more to get models into 3DC quickly yes, there could be other uses though like painting textures etc. Importing models to make bots or use with the new boolean system seems like a popular request so this could be good for that if they add support for that it in the future. There is also the possibility of direct exporting to the 3B file format which would be nice.

3B file format details here -

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3227

Talking of 1-way applinks though i think they are still a good idea as it just makes things that bit faster. I am sure Andrew could add new applink options also like send/merge mesh into a new layer, export a mesh from another app directly to the object and brush library's etc.

As you say they focus on this also as a ZB helper app so if they do the same with 3DC that would be great. The applink system is good for when other programs do this but i guess when i say applink i also refer to the regular SDK and i am thinking more for future features also. I am sure Andrew would be interested in working with other developers like the GroBoto team to make 3DC have a good workflow with it.

I am thinking more to get models into 3DC quickly yes, there could be other uses though like painting textures etc. Importing models to make bots or use with the new boolean system seems like a popular request... ...I am sure Andrew would be interested in working with other developers like the GroBoto team to make 3DC have a good workflow with it.

Hi Guys,

Of course we do have our eye on linking to other 3D apps in whatever form is best suited. We have talked to Andrew, and all agree this should be pursued.

Yes, GroBoto is a somewhat separate realm with our unique internal geometry -- but a two-way pipeline is almost always useful.

Among other things we will soon be supporting importing 'static' meshes -- that is, for reference purposes only, no editing. That will help when you simply need to match/fit new GroBoto generated forms to any existing model.

And yes, we could export all kinds of custom data that could flow into 3DCoat. The nature of our geometry is very structured so -- even after conversion to a smoothed, stylized mesh -- there is a great deal of morphological/topological/structural info available.

Our biggest challenge is time/resources -- so I can't even guess at a timeframe yet. I know it's a bit chicken-&-egg (or perhaps Catch-22), but unavoidably, the direction of our efforts will depend in part on how much interest we se coming from the various app communities.

Clearly there is interest here -- so in the mean time, short of producing an appLink, we will do all we can to support and encourage 3DCoat artists to play and help us best see what might be.

Best Wishes,

Darrel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Darrel has made a nice offer to Silo users here post 16

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119593#post119593

Anyone working on a Groboto 3DCoat applink?

Hello JimB,

As you may know, we are a microscopic development team. At the moment all of our efforts are focused on a GroBoto-modo workflow.

We do plan on a 3DCoat applink (perhaps with the help of someone here?)... but it may be a while before we can start that project. Right now we have no hooks/external access or other elements to facilitate the applink.

We truly do want to connect with 3DC... we see great mutual benefit for two outfits dedicated to innovation.

----

On the Discount Stuff:

We are running a (soon to expire), crossgrade discount. You can see the details on our site:

GroBoto Discount Page

I'm happy to extend the same 'shortcut' to 3DC users that I offered to members of the Silo Forum. Here's how I explained it there

---------------------------------------

That crossgrade discount system all about discovering and developing the ways GroBoto & other apps can work together. That's why the biggest component is the 30% off for posting Hybrid Works. We truly see it as a trade. We know you are likely to produce something while playing with the trial anyway by posting that work, you help us show others how GroBoto can fit into their workflow.

My primary reasons for starting this discount deal are:

1. Getting GroBoto into the hands of many Digital Artists

2. Getting those Artists to play with Hybrid works - so as to discover synergies, potentials and problems.

3. ...and in the process helping/attracting Artists who live/work in other apps.

...it was never about recruiting 'shills' just to blog/tweet/blast about GroBoto --

It's far more valuable to us if you post work, and thereby help us discover & develop methods & tools that directly benefit modelers & artists.

---------------------------------------

So for any 3DC owners here's the deal. I'll trust you to post some sort of Hybrid work here. No forms to fill out, no info required.

Just use this code:

3dcfo62884

It will cut GroBoto's purchase price to $40.

It's good until 09.09.11.

Best Wishes,

Darrel Anderson

Braid Art Labs

Hi

i purchased V3 at Monday this week, the app is absolutely other than any 3d App i know before

it is very fantastic if you like to experiment with such a tool set the features are very nice and the Bots (looks like animated mathematical fractals made with simple geometry )

give you a toy to forget the time you spend on it ;-)

In my eyes it is not a normal 3d Tool all Tools and are so different to normal 3d apps for me it looks more like a tool for

making 3d experiments you get a special output while all pictures and Models are made with simple geometry like sphere box and some others

you can do many magics with boolean tools and create new meshes but all outbound have this special grotto look .

If you are like playing with simple geometry and go other way to your scene than normal 3d apps do than you can forget the time with groboto.

i am sure that a 3d Modeler with some fantasy can bring out very nice animations and cool looking Models.

greetings from Germany

Andre

Thanks for the post. Seems like the application has really come a lot with version 3. An intriguing method of creation and playful exploration indeed.

A lovely video by one of it's users whoopjohn.

A great offer for all who don't yet own GroBoto =)

I'm really impressed "GroBoto - Modo" -workflow that groBoto show on YouTube. groBoto did open my eyes to possibilities that GroBoto offers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/groBotz#p/a/u/0/oQfnUCLzSG0

It's easy to transfer data between Modo and 3D-Coat with applink [thank You Neophyte], but direct applink between GroBoto and 3D-Coat would be great.