3DCoat Forums

Do you use external 2D editor in pair with 3DB?

Andrew Shpagin

There is a connector with Photoshop in 3DB. I want to ask - why are you using 2D - editor like PS in pair with 3DB? What image functions are missed in 3DB? There will be much more wide set of image adustments tools in 2.07, so I am interested what adjustments do you like. I plan to add:

- brighness/contrast

- desaturate

- thershold

- curves (may be)

- levels (RGBA adjustments)

maybe I have missed something important?

• Advanced Member

Those seem to be a good start on the core necessities...I'd add color balance as well (for midtone, highlight,

shadow) which can add subtle depth or hot/coldness.

Of course, the larger reason for using PS is the masking and selection tools combined with real-time feedback

when viewing adjustments. ;)

• Advanced Member

To project a photo on a 3d model, Photoshop is very useful :

i open the projection in Photoshop, and use the liquify tool to adjust the photo i want to project on the model, then i send the projection back to 3dbrush.

i've got the same workflow with zbrush and projection master

The liquify tool in 3d would be nifty.

Something like Layer FX is a nice idea.

Twirl, wave, wind, ripple, shear, adding grain types in 3d for small instant grimey and other details.

Color Gradient Mapping unless 3d-brush has this already. A color gradient editor for mapping would be nice.

Color Tempurature filter?

I think that sometimes it's easier to edit some of the texture in a 2D view. It is quicker than move/turn/search for light/turn-again-the-3D-model kind of 3D Edit, for some details or overall adjustment.

Maybe some way to edit the current texture layers on a plane, instead of the 3D model, would be good.

And it's a lot easier to do a initial photo projection in 2D and make adjustments in 3D than do it all just in one view, since most of photo resources is mainly top/down/front/back view.

To project a photo on a 3d model, Photoshop is very useful :

i open the projection in Photoshop, and use the liquify tool to adjust the photo i want to project on the model, then i send the projection back to 3dbrush.

i've got the same workflow with zbrush and projection master

I think "Materials" do exactly the same thing.

• Advanced Member
addind the ability to paint inside the quickUV editor UV preview window would be a great feature

Yes, its would be VERY useful feature. Also, in 3ds max we have plugin that allows to export UV layout in vector path inside PSD file, its could be good addition to 3db UV tools.

• Advanced Member

I haven't used 3db lately so Im not sure if this is implemented.

i always use the "define pattern" tool in photoshop. It enables me to make my own pattern from an image and then use it for quickly tiling via layer style>pattern overlay or bucket filling a selection in photoshop.

I am thinking this would be very useful for architectural models when you fill a brick pattern to a wall which should be adjustable uv and then use other paint tools in 3db to make it look less tiled and add random stuff in the brick wall.

I also use the record action set a lot so I dont have to repeat steps in doing an effect in photoshop.

The history is really helpful since you can go back to a specific undo.

• Advanced Member
I think "Materials" do exactly the same thing.

They do project, but I think he's referring to the ability to manipulate the photo's pixels themselves,

not just the overall dimensions or translation/rotation/scale. It would be helpful to have something similar

to 'Warp' in the transform options where you manipulate based on a grid over the image...move areas

within that grid and the pixels underneath are moved based upon the percentage within that grid unit

(and to a certain degree the pixels in the surrounding grid units get manipulated as well).

Perhaps this is what Adobe uses as a framework for it's Liquify tool, only to a much finer level (and without

the Bezier handles)?

• Advanced Member

Zbrush has 'Image Plane', a plugin written by a then-user/now-employee 'Marcus Civis' which basically

projects the image to a grid-plane, then you move the plane's mesh points and it manipulates the image itself

(you can sub-divide the plane for finer grid sizing and the size of your brush also controls how

much of the plane you effect...the plane can be treated like any other 3d object in terms of

translation/rotation/scale in 3d space, but generally it is better to lock the camera and plane to a view

like front, side, top, etc., then manipulate the grid sections...this is quite handy for getting pixels in tough

areas like nostril crease beside cheeks, eyelid texturing, and generally making the photo match the model)

• Advanced Member
addind the ability to paint inside the quickUV editor UV preview window would be a great feature, but you would need to be able to make the UV preview window full screen. this would be a great feature to add to "4D-Brush." ;)

I do not think the UV preview window would be a good choice, but i agree some sort of 2D painting view would be nice. Last time i could not paint the area of the tongue on my character, the sunglass tool could not hide enough area, so i had to take it into Photoshop to paint. Being able to paint in 2D viewport would save time going to PhotoShop. Plus i like using the native tools in 3D-brush, being able to use them in 2D painting viewport would be great!

• 3 weeks later...