3DCoat Forums

Remember Layer Materials in Pixel Paint?

pickledzebra

I'm having an issue when pixel painting. Let's say I have 25 layers. I might go back and forth between layers as I'm painting. Let's say I want to use the same material in layer 25 as I did in layer 10 (decided to paint face X the same as face D). Let's make it worse by having 15 different "rusty metal" textures.

Is it possible to figure out which texture I used in layer 10 without cycling through all 15 "rusty metal" textures and testing them visually?

Since Layers are not the same as Textures, there is no way to give a graphical (iconic) representation of what is in that Layer (there could be a combination of ordinary Paint strokes and Texture strokes) - even though you may have used the Layer in question only for a single, bitmapped texture.

If I might be so bold - I would suggest using the least number of layers to accomplish a given "look". Also, descriptively name each Layer. You can also hide and show layers to determine what is where.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

This brings me to the issue of layer masks, like you have in Photoshop. It's not the same as using the eraser. A layer mask per channel and having a thumbnail for each on the layer (have the ability to maybe CTRL click to toggle through the different thumbnails, and CTRL+SHIFT click to activate all the masks) would be really sweet. I rely on layer masks all the time in PS, and not having that ability in 3DC makes it feel a bit clunky and primitive.

• Advanced Member

This brings me to the issue of layer masks, like you have in Photoshop. It's not the same as using the eraser. A layer mask per channel and having a thumbnail for each on the layer (have the ability to maybe CTRL click to toggle through the different thumbnails, and CTRL+SHIFT click to activate all the masks) would be really sweet. I rely on layer masks all the time in PS, and not having that ability in 3DC makes it feel a bit clunky and primitive, when you have is the Eraser tool to use.

+1 Layer masks is a major missing feature.