3DCoat Forums

3D Coat Slowdowns, Performance Suggestions

pugmugger

Hey Guys,

When using 3Dcoat, we've noticed the program slows down a lot the longer it stays open.

Saving and opening 3Dcoat again fixes the slowdown. So I'm thinking it could be to do with

paint strokes the artist makes being stored in memory and not being cleared after

a certain number of steps.

I was wondering if anybody has any tips for performance tweaks in 3D coat.

I cant seem to find any memory management options like changing the swap file path and size,

amount of undo steps etc.

We're running intel core i7's with 12 gigs of ram and geforce cards that have over a gig of Vram.

Lastly, would having a Quadro card of similar Vram spec make a big difference in performance?

thanks,

Chris.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey Guys,

When using 3Dcoat, we've noticed the program slows down a lot the longer it stays open.

Saving and opening 3Dcoat again fixes the slowdown. So I'm thinking it could be to do with

paint strokes the artist makes being stored in memory and not being cleared after

a certain number of steps.

I was wondering if anybody has any tips for performance tweaks in 3D coat.

I cant seem to find any memory management options like changing the swap file path and size,

amount of undo steps etc.

We're running intel core i7's with 12 gigs of ram and geforce cards that have over a gig of Vram.

Lastly, would having a Quadro card of similar Vram spec make a big difference in performance?

thanks,

Chris.

There was a problem with this several builds ago, but Andrew did a lot of work tracking down memory leaks and such. What build are you using? The latest is 3.5.21A

Thanks for the response Abnranger.

We're on 3.5.19A , I'll update us to the latest. Good to know this issue has been

reported/worked on. Maybe 3.5.19 still had the memory leak issue present.

Would still be nice to have some performance options exposed like undo steps,

page file etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing a memory leak on v 3.5.23C Cuda 64 bit Windows Vista while per pixel painting. I'm not sure how to recreate other than working on the scene. I can send it in if needed.

Ken

I am also experiencing a memory leak in voxel mode. The program quickly eats up 10 gb of ram.

• Reputable Contributor

I am also experiencing a memory leak in voxel mode. The program quickly eats up 10 gb of ram.

Large consumption of RAM in Voxels doesn't really indicate a leak. What does is when you initially load the scene, and without doing anything to add to the RAM usage (like add a new object/layer or increase res on a layer) you observe consumption climb significantly. Or after deleting portions of the scene that should drop RAM consumption, it doesn't (dump the data from RAM). This has been the case in the past, but I haven't noticed it too much lately.