3DCoat Forums

Need help with retolopgy

I need this shoe to be retopolgized. I cant do it, my computer crashes most of the time. Please someone offer your time to help do this for me. It would be a nice practice.

ZkLIF.png

The auto retopology make all polygons flow horizontally and vertically which actually works but it also generates a wave of poly flow that messes up the polygon flow. But i think its ok. I wonder if it would be better if it had better flow like with the stroke guidance for poly flow. But i cant really use these features cause they are quite buggy.

Thank you to whoever lends a hand. I need it done as soon as possible. I think it should be less then an hour to do it. Help :)

• Advanced Member

Autoretopo?

go for ~4 k the default 3 isn't enough in your case.

Paint dense areas, especially around holes.

Use loops, as vertically as possible to the 'axis' of mesh. Is this clear? wondering.

so have a look here, though I did lot of mistakes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24090090/tut3DC_ZB.mov

The pattern: a loop and a cut...

Or, even better, do it manually. In this case, you probably don't need it.

I tried but as you can see i also get weird extra poly loops. And sometimes it just stay the same initial autoroto mesh, even after i use the stoke step, with the poly flow horizontal and vertical all through out. Whats withthe extra wave looking poly flow? Im technically impaired especially with this 3d coat software. Eventually ill get it but i need this done in a few days. No one willing to help?

Why is the flow of polygons and edge loops so important, in a very dense mesh like your shoe has?

Is the shoe going to bend in animation - or is this for a static render?

If it will not bend in animation - polygon flow is not very important, especially if the shoe will not be rendered in extreme close-up.

See this for yourself by running AUTOPO on your merged shoe mesh with a relatively moderate number of final polygons - you'll find that AUTOPO discerns the shape quite nicely - (flowing the polygons appropriately), and even unwrapping the mesh UV's, automatically, allowing for good texturing processes - capable of being rendered in medium to even close up views.

Greg Smith

The shoe is for a fashion designer who is going to print it into a physical model.

I need it retoplogized so it has more even polygon flow. As of right now some places are stretched badly mostly by the ankle (picture 1), places that need finer detail is suffering because of the stretch and lack of polygons. Right now, i cant subdivide the mesh, thats the bigger issue, my computer cant handle it. I need it retoplogized for further sculpting in the last details. So im just stuck until i can get a better retopology on it.

It would be nice if i can make some sections more dense in poly as i have seen in 3d coat. This would help with not having to subdive the whole mesh where i only need more dense poly in some spots. But the poly flow from 3d coat even on flat surfaces (picture 2 and 3) is still there and sculpting that in mudbox gives ugly distorted details.

unled1qy.png

In the end the poly flow does need to be smooth where its suppose to be which 3d coat doesnt seem to do well, i dont know why its creating those extra strange cuts.

I was hoping someone who knows how to retoplogize models can help with it as it might take me more then a few days to get through all the technical learning parts before i can properly retopolgize it myself. And the shoe is suppose to be done in like 2 days.

• Advanced Member

@ fleshtheworld

I don't understand. You're doing something wrong, probably.

Please do some auto-retopo as mentioned, ask for MicroVertex baking. This will auto generate UVs. When in MV paint mode, under file menu, export a low or medium or hi density mesh.

The hi density mesh is ideal for apps like zbrush to rebuild subdivisions, so you have what you need.

In the end the poly flow does need to be smooth where its suppose to be which 3d coat doesnt seem to do well, i dont know why its creating those extra strange cuts.

I does it very very well, you have to watch some tutorials, that's all. :)

• Advanced Member

@Flesh in the World: If you plan to Print that Shoe out doing a Retopology would not only be superflous effort - but even a mistake.

With a Retopoed Mesh you would win nothing badly lose Detail.

Just fix the errors in Voxels or Surface-Mode (if at all needed) and save out a mildly reduced mesh from the Voxeltree as .stl or .ply, done!

All the stretched Poly-Stuff you showed in your Screenshot will not be visible anyway - that exceeds the Resolution of what

3D-Printers can do. Look at that Shoe at a 1:1 Realworld! Scale in a Modeler which allows you to look at it in Flat Shade without Edges showing

and watch if you can discover stretched Polygons. You surely can't - that's all what matters - then you also can't see them in the Print.

Instead - if not happeded yet you should do something else which is really important: Hollow the Model out with Extract Skin - the Print

will cost your Designer a fortune otherwise.

Depending on the 3D Printing Method you will even need a hole to remove enclosed Powder-Material - you should check this with

the Service-Provider.

• Advanced Member
Instead - if not happeded yet you should do something else which is really important: Hollow the Model out with Extract Skin - the Print

will cost your Designer a fortune otherwise.

Interesting!!! Please explain, how thick? How much does it reduces the cost?

• Advanced Member

Thickness: Depending on the Printing methods - there's dozens of Principles and even more output-Materials available.

As a rough rule of thumb 2mm's of Wall-Thickness should do for a part of the size of a shoe.

Cost reduction:

One can easily create a Volume Calculation from closed meshes and then calculate the costs.

Here in this case I would estimate that one could save 80-90% of material. Given that Shoe was printed in original size one

would save many hundred dollars when hollowing it out.

Even as a shelled part this is not going to be cheap.

As a massive Block however it surely would cost xxxx $, depending on the printing method.

Hi michalis,

Here's some links that should help:

http://www.shapeways.com/

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/3dprintingminimumwallthicknesstutorial

HTH, Colin

• Reputable Contributor

I need this shoe to be retopolgized. I cant do it, my computer crashes most of the time. Please someone offer your time to help do this for me. It would be a nice practice.

Thank you to whoever lends a hand. I need it done as soon as possible. I think it should be less then an hour to do it. Help :)

This post reminds me of this hilarious Youtube clip: "Come on Mike...work with me!"...."uh, it's Todd, Dude." :D

For what it's worth, regarding crashes....I've been having a few lately too, but I either send a bug report to Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) with a copy of the file and video capture of the issue, or I install a different build. With LiveClay being introduced in the last few builds, it's bound to add some instability here and there.

• Advanced Member
Please someone offer your time to help do this for me. It would be a nice practice.

:mellow:

@Abn

I didn't find the clip hilarious. Reminds me the greek government. Now, this is what hilarious means. Also reminds me the years I was working "under" DTP.

• Reputable Contributor

:mellow:

@Abn

I didn't find the clip hilarious. Reminds me the greek government. Now, this is what hilarious means. Also reminds me the years I was working "under" DTP.

Oh, come on, Jerry...work with me on this. It's not a challenge. It's an "opportunity." An opportunity to practice....on my project. It should only take you an hour or so, to retopo my football helmet. Oh, and you need to get it done yesterday, too. :clapping: Is that good for you?

:rofl:

• Reputable Contributor

I"ve noticed (in 3.5.22A) that every use of ctrl-z in the Retopo room gets a new group in the Groups window without actually undoing anything. Is this a 'feature'? :unsure:

No, it's a huge bug that's been reported. Andrew supposedly fixed it with this new (tentative) build:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8308&pid=64632&st=40entry64632

Well i did retopo it a few days ago myself and it was only over 3 hours. So i think once i get more efficient at it it would take around an hour.

But i did get this error afterwards. At first it was smooth, even when i opened it in my modeller program. So in my modeller program i created a clone and edited it accordingly and wield it to the retopo. Saved it. All was fine. Then i brought it into my sculpting program and it says 'There are t_shapes in this mesh', additionally 'Non-manifold topology', 'two-sides face', 'zero-length edges'... This has never happened before when importing models, so i assume this problem occurred while working in 3d coat. And the bad shading only occur after i reopened it again in my modeller program and tried to fix the error messages. Hope some of you have experience with this and can suggest where it might of occur or how to fix it.

128wK.png

And yes the deadline has passed but the person im doing this for didnt say it was a definite deadline.

• Advanced Member

Congratulations.

What you now have is unsuitable for 3D Printing.

Even if you subdivide again and reproject detail in programs like Zbrush you will have had some loss.

And when exporting for print the mesh has to get triangulated again anyway.

Hope this stuff at least doesn't appear on your clients bill.

• Reputable Contributor

Congratulations.

What you now have is unsuitable for 3D Printing.

Even if you subdivide again and reproject detail in programs like Zbrush you will have had some loss.

And when exporting for print the mesh has to get triangulated again anyway.

Hope this stuff at least doesn't appear on your clients bill.

So, basically, he should have just exported it directly to STL from the Voxel Room? I wonder if the 3D printing shops prefer solid surface/NURBS type formats over polygons. I know it will when it comes to actual manufacture of the item.

• Advanced Member

So, basically, he should have just exported it directly to STL from the Voxel Room?

Yes. But he should have hollowed that thing out before.

I wonder if the 3D printing shops prefer solid surface/NURBS type formats over polygons. I know it will when it comes to actual manufacture of the item.

All generative Prototyping Systems (those which work similar to a Printer but buid a 3D Volume from Powder or extruded material) without exception need dense

triangulated meshes as .stl, ply and some less known formats. One can not use Nurbs here.

So also when sending Geometry from physical Production geared Nurbs-Programs it will always get get meshed.

There's one type of Tool used for Prototying which prefers Nurbs by far: CAM-Software which is there to control Milling Machines

But one can also feed in Meshes in many such systems.

You are correct, when the Product leaves the Prototype stadium one does need Nurbs.