3DCoat Forums

Problem with Autoretopo

nexust56

Hi,

I am having difficulties to do the autoretopo does anyone know any steps to make it work properly.

Right now I bring my mesh as for Autoretopo but the mesh looks decreased in polycount compared to the original zbrush mesh that I exported,

and do I need to keep switching between retopo tab and voxels???

plz help

• Advanced Member

Decreased indeed but in most cases it will work.

A better way? just export the obj and under voxel room-tools palette / merge. In merge palette there is an import tab. As you increase it, watch polycount indicator and go for ~5-6 M . Enter. 3DC will ask you to keep scale, say yes of course. (important!! You're not rescale it as you do this, it's a problematic UI) . Now,

1. set symmetry,

2. Under voxels layers palette ask for autopo only. 2.1 You can paint density, 2.2 you better draw loop guides. Wait a few seconds and you have it.

Automatically you're in retopo room.

3. Under retopo menu / find n-gons , fix them manually.

4. Under tools palette / mark seams, this will trigger the UV tools. Do UVs.

You may like to skip UVs but NEVER let 3dcoat to auto UV. You have a superior tool in zbrush, UV master. Do it there.

5. Under retopo menu / apply symmetry to all layers, under symmetry menu turn off symmetry.

6. Under retopo menu / export retopo layer, Never 'selected' (this is a trap in most cases) LOL

Import this obj in zbrush. Before this (in Zb) select the 'star' . You have the retopo selected, append the original mesh (full resolution). SUbdivide the retopo mesh as needed and [project all]

The trick in zbrush projections is to have the original mesh as subdivided as possible.

OK

We have two apps here with the worst UI I have ever seen. Isn't it?

:drinks:

• Reputable Contributor

A better way? just export the obj and under voxel room-tools palette / merge. In merge palette there is an import tab. As you increase it, watch polycount indicator and go for ~5-6 M . Enter. 3DC will ask you to keep scale, say yes of course. (important!! You're not rescale it as you do this, it's a problematic UI) . Now,

1. set symmetry,

2. Under voxels layers palette ask for autopo only. 2.1 You can paint density, 2.2 you better draw loop guides. Wait a few seconds and you have it.

You may like to skip UVs but NEVER let 3dcoat to auto UV. You have a superior tolls in zbrush, UV master. Do it there.

5. Under retopo menu / apply symmetry to all layers, under symmetry menu turn off symmetry.

6. Under retopo menu / export retopo layer, Never 'selected' (this is a trap in most cases) LOL

Import this obj in zbrush. Before this (in Zb) select the 'star' . You have the retopo selected, append the original mesh (full resolution). SUbdivide the retopo mesh as needed and [project all]

The trick in zbrush projections is to have the original mesh as subdivided as possible.

OK

I like the (manual) UV tools in 3DC, but auto UV's might be better in ZB. And as far as the UI, I like the UI in 3DC, when you customize the color scheme. However, there are some quirks here and there, for sure...but I'll take 3DC's UI over ZBrush every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :D

I may be alone in my preferences, but I always liked those apps which house mountains of powerful functions behind very simple, unobtrusive UI controls. I like to see what I'm working on, without the distraction of hundreds of "parameters" - whether they be iconic, in form, or textual.

It seems to me that there are primarily 2 types of CG artists - those who prefer to work by number and those who work by sight. I like to call the first sort "technicians".

I do realize that a CG artist can never bypass technical knowledge - I just like to keep the technicalities to a minimum - especially when it comes to UI controls "being in your face", as opposed to "out of the way" or invisible.

So, I really liked the original Sculptris interface, when working on organic things. Now, I would also cast my vote for something like Groboto (at least their hard surface modeling approach), but I don't like the multitude of controls that need to be visible in order to properly use Groboto.

Minimalism, to me, is the definition of a good UI. A good UI features single tools capable of accomplishing many, many things - like 3D-Coat's "Move" tool.

I think this is why Blender's UI is objected to so strongly - too many parameters must be visible to get basic things done. They gobble up screen space and confuse even seasoned users. (Let's leave the "strangeness" aspect to another discussion).

The old Blender, once you had used it frequently for a time, bypassed an overly complicated UI by means of single key shortcuts - thus its enduring popularity among seasoned Blenderheads.

P.S. I think complicated interfaces are a hold over from the days when all CG programs were derivatives of CAD applications - where precision was the primary concern.

Somehow, the transition has never been successfully made to powerful CG software designed for Visual Artists. Even 3D-Coat features quadruple precision decimals in many of its dialogs.

I never use numbers, ever, when working with 3D-Coat. If I need precision, (as when I'm designing a clock, or making parts to be cut with CNC), I use a dedicated CAD application.

Greg Smith

1. set symmetry,

You may like to skip UVs but NEVER let 3dcoat to auto UV. You have a superior tool in zbrush, UV master. Do it there.

OK

Thanks for the explanation.