3DCoat Forums

Scripting 3D Coat

dulo

• Advanced Member

Is there a possibility to to some scripting of 3DCoat functions ?

Is it possible to write a plugin which does an operation for 1000 objects ?

Is it possible to write some kind of script to do a repetitive job ?

thx dulo

No, that is currently not possible.

For future versions recording of actions, replaying of Strokes and some smart

implementation of Script-Extensions sure was cool.

No, that is currently not possible.

For future versions recording of actions, replaying of Strokes and some smart

implementation of Script-Extensions sure was cool.

Is it also not possible with the SDK ?

There is an SDK isnt it ?

• Advanced Member

It is not possible, the SDK is only for new import/export formats i think. You can also make app links but these are limited to doing certain things.

I think scripting and a real SDK is one of the best things that could be done for the program though, it means 3rd party devs can make new tools for people to use.

With a team of about 2 people developing it could only be good also because there is only so much a few people can do so it means they can focus on major things and bug fixes. Basically all anyone has to do is look at blender or SU to see it works, blender has a load of things added to it via python and with Sketchup it's the same thing but if SU didn't have plugins i probably wouldn't use it so it shows that decent user made resource can add to the appeal of a program also.

I requested scripting a long time ago though but there didn't seem to be much interest or other things are considered a lot more important like the sculpting tools. If the system was done well enough though devs could even make those and other common requests. The Applinks have worked out great so i am sure scripting/plugins would also and hopefully other user can see this would be a great thing for 3DC even if they don't code.

• 1 month later...

As for repetitive stuff I'm not sure what you want, but remember there are instances for voxels. I haven't tried a thousand but it sdeems to do a great job.

The problem at hand is that i have 300 RawVox files and want to convert them to bgeo files.

Its quite repetitive and very slow. Each RawVox file takes about 20 minutes to load.

For this Task i would have needed some scripting capabilites.

thx dulo

The problem at hand is that i have 300 RawVox files and want to convert them to bgeo files.

Its quite repetitive and very slow. Each RawVox file takes about 20 minutes to load.

thx dulo

Correction: I meant converting RawVox to 3B file !!

Afterwards i would need to export the retopologized mesh to obj and this to bgeo , but thats another story.

As far as i can tell no scripting in 3DCoat !? Is that right ?

thx dulo

There is VoxelSDK that may help with converting -

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7333

But of course you will need programming skills. SDK reads/writes 3B but not rawvox.

But it is easy to read just using c++.

• Like 1

The RawVox 3B conversion is already done. I have written a .net c# converter for this job. But each following operation has to be repeated for all 300 3B files by hand and i was looking for a tool to automate at least some of those simple steps.

thx dulo

The RawVox 3B conversion is already done. I have written a .net c# converter for this job. But each following operation has to be repeated for all 300 3B files by hand and i was looking for a tool to automate at least some of those simple steps.

thx dulo

I am not sure how to do all that steps, but -

You may engage 3D-Coat to load 3B file using AppLinks mechanism

Then use some program that generates keys pressing to do some actions in 3D-Coat via hotkeys

I am not sure how to do all that steps, but -

You may engage 3D-Coat to load 3B file using AppLinks mechanism

Then use some program that generates keys pressing to do some actions in 3D-Coat via hotkeys

What can be triggered over the AppLink interface / mechanism ?

Can you just trigger load and save or is there more functionality ?