3DCoat Forums

Sculpt Room

MADjestic

Voxel room is for voxels. Sculpt room is for modifying meshes.

So potential workflows:

Vox room sculpting (voxel sculpture)> retopo > paint room in micro vertex (is now a mesh) > sculpt room (to correct distortions from using surface displacement painting, or minor corrections to the mesh to improve mapping.

So the sculpt room allows you to correct meshes without having to use voxels. You could use it on imported fully painted meshes too if required. That is how I usually use it - to tweak a mesh I have imported from another program for painting.

• Reputable Contributor

Voxel room is for voxels. Sculpt room is for modifying meshes.

So potential workflows:

Vox room sculpting (voxel sculpture)> retopo > paint room in micro vertex (is now a mesh) > sculpt room (to correct distortions from using surface displacement painting, or minor corrections to the mesh to improve mapping.

So the sculpt room allows you to correct meshes without having to use voxels. You could use it on imported fully painted meshes too if required. That is how I usually use it - to tweak a mesh I have imported from another program for painting.

It's also good for re-posing, using the select/move tool. There you have some options in the TOOL OPTIONS panel to select by gradient, then switch to select by Pen to clean up the selection. Once done, you can click the Transform mode you want to use (MOVE/ROTATE/SCALE). Then the MOVE tool acts just like the MOVE tool in Voxels. You can tweak the mesh a bit and use Smooth the same way you do in Voxels. Collapse/Expand is essentially Pinch/Bloat.

Overall, it has it's usefulness...but more as an aid than a dedicated Sculpting toolset. It's roughly like having Max or Maya's sculpting tools available to you (although I think the speed in 3DC is much better), with some basic transform tools thrown in.