3DCoat Forums

NPR style rendering...

Paul Hartsuyker

This is a work in progress, NPR style rendering. I am including a still from midway through and a link to a short MP4 video. First full draft, will review and tweak. Comments are always welcome. Started the bulldog in Lightwave, finished, UV and first color in modo, finished painting in 3DCoat, back to Lightwave for rigging and animation. I am posting it here for those who don't "travel" but it is also on the other forums since multiple apps are always involved in this kind of work.

Paul

bulldog_222.png

Bulldog wip movie..

• Like 1

Looks cool! :) Did you render in LW as well?

Yes. I really enjoy the hand drawn aspect, so I tweak the shaders as much as it allows and use Lightwave's native line rendering. I have periodically used UnRealExtreme2 Beta4, but sometimes the whole process gets unstable. I also rendered out in Blender Freestyle build. Nice creative line quality, but pushing out the assets from Lightwave scenes is a pain. I am not yet ready to do all of the scene layout, surfacing and rigging in Blender, but the Freestyle build has nice potential. 3DCoat is wonderful for painting and sculpting aspects.

Garagarape, Hello...

Thank you. Yes, the bend at the elbow is "funky" as it is a full first draft of the animation for review. That clearly annoyed me also, but I will have to go back into the rig setup to try to clear up that deformation, that shows up when he gets down.

Yes. I really enjoy the hand drawn aspect, so I tweak the shaders as much as it allows and use Lightwave's native line rendering. I have periodically used UnRealExtreme2 Beta4, but sometimes the whole process gets unstable. I also rendered out in Blender Freestyle build. Nice creative line quality, but pushing out the assets from Lightwave scenes is a pain. I am not yet ready to do all of the scene layout, surfacing and rigging in Blender, but the Freestyle build has nice potential. 3DCoat is wonderful for painting and sculpting aspects.

That's cool. LW has a super render, especially for NPR stuff. I hear you about Unreal, I haven't used it in a while due to the fact it was crashing so often. It is good looking when it works though. That said, I enjoy doing NPR stuff with nodes, even if it takes a little longer to set up. Much more freedom with style to play with IMHO. Anywho, keep it coming!

PS - Have you thought about using messiah for rigging/animation and rendering in LW? You'll nip that pinching area of the leg in the bud right quick. Just a thought!