3DCoat Forums

3DCoat model suddenly became distorted

Hi,

I need an urgent help!

I've been working on my creature in 3DCoat until the software crashed due to insufficient memory and I had to make a hard restart on my mac.

When I reopen my latest file, everything became distorted and I dont have any other version of the file. (please see attached image to understand)

Can someone please help me with this, I've spent 8 hours working on this and it will be a big waste of time if i have to redo everything from scratch again

Thanks!

post-6915-0-98685700-1314092252_thumb.pn

post-6915-0-88502300-1314092356_thumb.pn

• Reputable Contributor

Delete the Options.xml file in your Documents directory (Windows it's "My Cocuments" > 3D Coat) and restart the application. If that doesn't help, then export your model out and re-import it back in to see if it's not just a display problem. If it still acts the same way, delete the objects in the Paint Room (windows > popup > subobjects...in that panel you will see your object and you can click the red X to delete it).

Without much information to go on, I can't help much further than that. I don't know if you were working in voxels > Retopo > Paint Room or if you just imported a mesh and started painting.

I don't know what your UV's look like, nor the maps in the Texture Editor. A screen recording showing those things could help a great deal. Jing is free and will host the video on Screencast for you. It's like issues I report to Andrew or feature requests. I get a lot further and faster with video clips of what's going on or explaining in better detail what I'm referring to.

Delete the Options.xml file in your Documents directory (Windows it's "My Cocuments" > 3D Coat) and restart the application. If that doesn't help, then export your model out and re-import it back in to see if it's not just a display problem. If it still acts the same way, delete the objects in the Paint Room (windows > popup > subobjects...in that panel you will see your object and you can click the red X to delete it).

Without much information to go on, I can't help much further than that. I don't know if you were working in voxels > Retopo > Paint Room or if you just imported a mesh and started painting.

I don't know what your UV's look like, nor the maps in the Texture Editor. A screen recording showing those things could help a great deal. Jing is free and will host the video on Screencast for you. It's like issues I report to Andrew or feature requests. I get a lot further and faster with video clips of what's going on or explaining in better detail what I'm referring to.

Deleting the options.xml did not help. I don't have any problem with the other .3b, only with this particular file.

I didn't use voxel but rather imported an OBJ for ptex painting and sculpting. In the past when my program crashed and it tried to recover my file I would encounter the same distortion problem but normally that will be on the recovered file as 3DCoat would try to save any file before the program crashed, but this time somehow 3DCoat managed to replace my original file with the recovered file and thus I can't do anything about it now.

I did a screen recording as you'd suggested. Please take a look at the attachment.

Thank you

3dCoat Problem.mov

• Advanced Member

Deleting the options.xml did not help. I don't have any problem with the other .3b, only with this particular file.

I didn't use voxel but rather imported an OBJ for ptex painting and sculpting. In the past when my program crashed and it tried to recover my file I would encounter the same distortion problem but normally that will be on the recovered file as 3DCoat would try to save any file before the program crashed, but this time somehow 3DCoat managed to replace my original file with the recovered file and thus I can't do anything about it now.

I did a screen recording as you'd suggested. Please take a look at the attachment.

Thank you

from what I've seen... Importing a Ptex UV object back in 3D coat breaks the Ptex thing... and the model looks like the one you show.. and yes the Ptex icon is gone...

h/

• Reputable Contributor

Did you have Auto-Save enabled? What I would try at this point is the texture baking tool. You could import mesh back in a new scene (as OBJ) for PTex and you should have a fresh UV Map. Now export that. This will be your target mesh. Now open the corrupted scene file and use the Texture baking tool to bake the texture map from the bad to (hopefully) the good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-oaVeKJCQ

I would also contact Andrew about this and send him the file (support@3d-coat.com), so he can rectify the problem.