3DCoat Forums

Moi3D Beta01 V3 out!

• Advanced Member

MoI is a NURBS modeler, so a different toolset than 3dcoat...

He has actually made a change in this projected release, so that it will run under Wine, which should have it be a MAC solution... But yet to be completley setup for that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

MoI is a NURBS modeler, so a different toolset than 3dcoat...

He has actually made a change in this projected release, so that it will run under Wine, which should have it be a MAC solution... But yet to be completley setup for that...

If moi works as well as messiah studio under wine or crossover or whatever then it will be worth missing. Glitchy mess messiah is. Although I believe at least the guy from Moi is a bit better than the messiah guys at bothering about their customers.

I would LOVE moi to be on osx properly. I would be first in line fighting with the others who also want to be first to get their hands on it. ;) I loved it in my pc days.

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Just to resurrect this old thread.

I'm considering purchasing MOI, but the one thing that really bothers me is - how the heck to do you get it to export a "quads only" model?

I've always really disliked the messy meshes you get from CAD software & it seems like MOI is no different.

Is there any way at all to get it to export quads only?

From a 3D-Coat perspective, what format would work best to export from MOI? Is there a way to get the curves from MOI to 3D Coat & use AUTOPO to generate the mesh? Or at least can you get the clean MOI version of the model over to the Voxel room in 3DCoat?

The two packages seem like they'd really work well together if there weren't roadblocks in place to getting the clean MOI data over to 3DC.

Thanks,

Paul

• Advanced Member

There's no Nurbs-Modeler available (even none of those which cost tens of thousands) which exports Quads only.

For most People doing Nurbs it simply does not matter how the Mesh is constructed. One typically doesn't need to touch

a Polygon ever.

MoI in terms of Mesh-Export is the actually the best what you can get.

Its Ngon-Mesh in obj Export gives you very clean looking meshes. But they are not all Quads.

For Painting (of static objects) or Voxel-Use inside 3DCoat or also Zbrush 4R2 with Dynamesh the mixed Topology

shouldn't play a big role. One only can not use such meshes for Subd-Modeling without considerable rework.

Hi Phil,

I was surprised at how well MoI exported polystyrene personally. Unfortunately it kept crashing on me every 5 minutes, making it useless as an application.

As a long time MoI user (Beta-pre V1), I'm really very surprised to hear the program was crashing on you...

Have you reported this to Michael Gibson on the MoI Forum so that he can at least find the possible source of your crashes?

http://moi3d.com/forum/

or just send an email directly to Michael as I'm sure he'd wish to know about the problem.

moi@moi3d.com

regards Colin

Hi Paul,

~ From a 3D-Coat perspective, what format would work best to export from MOI?

As a Jeweller, I'm typically using STL files for Export from MoI for use on my small CNC mill.

So I've always just used the STL files to bring into 3DC via the Voxel Room.

~ Is there a way to get the curves from MOI to 3D Coat & use AUTOPO to generate the mesh?

I'd also like to know if this is a possibility?

MoI can Export it's NURBS curves as AI-EPS files for use in other 2D programs, so it'd be nice to also use them in 3DC too.

~ Or at least can you get the clean MOI version of the model over to the Voxel room in 3DCoat?

Yes you can, just make sure you've first raised the Resolution in the Voxel Room prior to Import.

I'll typically use 2x Resolution prior to the Import/Merge, but sometimes it may need more.

~ The two packages seem like they'd really work well together if there weren't roadblocks in place to getting the clean MOI data over to 3DC.

They do work reasonably well together, but obviously there'll be limitations.

Unlike Rhino, MoI is for NURBS only, so it can only Export polygon meshes, it can't read them back in.

Once I have the STL from MoI into 3DC, I'll then Export it out from 3DC as an STL for milling.

For viewing that newly created 3DC-STL file, I'll typically use Rhino.

HTH, Colin

Hi Phil,

It may have been just something to do with that one specific Solidworks model I was loading.

That could well be...but I'd still report it...otherwise how else would any programs creator know there's a possible problem...

...I'm sure Andrew would want to know given those same circumstances!

regards Colin