3DCoat Forums

Exporting displacement problems

philnolan3d

My character is finshed in 3DC and I've exported it. Everything looks great except for the displacement map. There are at least 3 ways to export displacement in 3DC. I have tried every one I can find and they all give the same results. A very pale washed out image with very little contrast. This is with the "zero level is grey" option.

2011-09-01_0005.png

After fussing with this for 4 days or so I actually discovered that LightWave uses black for the zero level so I tried exporting with that option. This time I get a solid grey image with maybe a few dots on it. Any suggestions? Other tests I've done seem to be OK.

2011-09-01_0106.png

• Advanced Member

The first map looks OK phil, have you tried it?

I suppose you're exporting a 16 or 32 bit map, right?

I also suppose that you'll use it for real displacement (3-4 subdivisions) and as bumps for hi frequency details. I don't know much about LW but if I remember correctly it can manipulate long distance objects differently.

These pale maps I prefer for blender actually (grey=0), hi contrasted ones aren't easy to handle - extreme disp at default blender values.

One more, please check the 32 bit export, it's broken on the OSX 3dc build. 16 bit works though.

I am using Tiff so that's not a problem as for trying the top one, yes I've been fighting to make it work for days. The character has these suspender things around her stomach, if I crank the displacement high enough to make them look good her head looks like sh has some crazy extreme peanut allergy (really fat) even if toned down her nostils seem to be exploding and there are other problems. I have not tried 32 bit, these are all 16 bit. Thanks