3DCoat Forums

Fabric and Drapery: Sculpting Reference

• Advanced Member

drapery...

Go to museums,

DaVinci is my favorite.

Please don't spend your time on tricks, they don't exist. Observe, is the only you can do.

Voxels study. Based on DaVinci's drawings.

The foundation of trickery is observation. Raphael purposefully employed trickery/ method to achieve the mystical glow of his painting. Trickery and method can allow the artist to branch from nature to convey states other than being. Does the brain see or the eye? The brain's been loving trickery since art was invented.

• Advanced Member

Imitating the masters, it seems that we imitate the worst part of the masters, their faults.

Copying the masters is better, we may learn something.

these words from picasso. It took me some years to understand what he was trying to say.

Our arguments, Candy-floss Kid, if any, may start a very interesting thread.

We don't talk much about art these days... in 3dc forum.

• Advanced Member

Another Picasso comment that I very much like for it sums up an increasing conundrum facing artists so bombarded by resources and inspiration "What saved me is that I became more interested in what I found than in what I was looking for." In other words the reconnection to the "found" self frees the artist.

We can all become constipated by choice , comparing or measuring ourselves, measuring the adequacy of our skills to fulfill our visual ambitions and thus disconnecting ourselves from our inner unthinking force.

Nice thread, really.

About the drapery and wrinkles: Just take a some fabric and pose it for your needs, don't look too much into books. Books help to understand, of course, but it is always better to use real references if possible. Photos are a big help, too. If the old artists had knew photo cameras, then they definitely would use them! (Sorry for my poor english...)

Be creative

Chris

• Advanced Member
Books help to understand, of course, but it is always better to use real references if possible

Indeed Taros. Though books and especially through old masters helps us to see, to watch, to notice the life around us. Somehow they're teaching us the method, the filter, to watch.

This is good, this is civilization but something to fight with, sometimes.

The problem with drapery (not only there) is that it's easy to fall into the trap of repeatable forms-shapes. It is mostly an abstract composition, every stroke should say its story.

Here, Feidia's art at its best moment. I added this old try to replicate this miracle by photos, how helpful this could be as reference? How weak is it?

Even Michelangelo's sculpting is weak if compared with Feidia's masterpieces. Even Laocoon and sons statue (the great reference of michelangelo) looks weak in front of parthenon marbles.

Here Feidias fools us. It isn't a realistic approach of art. It's chaotic, a fractal composition, it's life.

Rodin's notes:

"...they are only three women seating, but they seem to be taking part in something of enormous important that we don't see"

These few about drapery (not only)

post-2454-0-95723400-1317108090_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I would think it's better to imitate life rather than imitate an imitation of life. Like making copies of VHS tapes, the more copies you make the further it gets from the original. That said, I really like the book "Dynamic Wrinkles And Drapery"

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Wrinkles-Drapery-Solutions-Practical/dp/0823015874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318144682&sr=8-1

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Here Feidias fools us. It isn't a realistic approach of art. It's chaotic, a fractal composition, it's life.

Rodin's notes:

"...they are only three women seating, but they seem to be taking part in something of enormous important that we don't see"

Please philnolan, read carefully, these aren't imitations of life.

Instead of imitating life, try to understand it. Try to geometrically, mathematically, mentally, explain it.

You may believe that I imitate imitations when I study the masters. You're completely wrong, as I try to just explain them, my own way.

Don't try to prove that Rodin or other enormous great artists are wrong on what they advise us. You won't convince yourself or others...

• Advanced Member

drapery...

Go to museums,

DaVinci is my favorite.

Please don't spend your time on tricks, they don't exist. Observe, is the only you can do.

Voxels study. Based on DaVinci's drawings.

drap1.jpg

Did you actually do this Michalis? That is unreal.

Do you have any more of these in your archives?

I think we'd all love to see them. Share with us..

• Advanced Member

Cut a profile on a cube, extrude/transform it. use move tool heavily, use as multiple views as possible when working on this. Copy it, transform move it, and merge with the first vox layer.

A nice experiment, gives you more ideas on drapery than these tutorials. I mean it. A fine starting point for more sculpting now.

@Pilou, if you feel not so creative, be creative again. I enjoyed your linked artwork !

draperyStudy.jpg

• 1 year later...