3DCoat Forums

Is it possible to force edge loops on strokes

dulo

Is it possible to force edge loops on strokes in autoretopo or at least to use the strokes to create quad strips in normal retopo ?

I have this mrt scan of a prostate and i would need at least two of those strokes as edgeloops in the mesh.

I the moment i always get some kind of of open spirals instead of a closed loop ( see second attachment ).

If i could export the strokes somehow i could man some spline patching in LW for example, but i didnt succeed in this direction too..

thx for your help

dulo

post-4452-0-86894300-1317123141_thumb.jp

post-4452-0-64184200-1317123472_thumb.jp

Draw the loops where you want them (around the hole and across the strokes to the interior).

Thats exactly what i do, but i alway get those spirals like in the second screenshot. In the second screenshot you see the edgeloop selection which goes through the whole several times, and none of the loops looks like the stoke i paintet in autoretopo. Sometimes it helps if i draw several strokes close to each other then sometimes i get one working loop ... now i think about doing all the topology by hand but for this would still the strokes be handy to build my quads around them ..

You can minimize the number of "spirals" in your edges by drawing "all the way through" guides, on both sides of a feature you want to be recognized as an edge - along with some perpendicular "section" guides (all the way through).

The more "all the way through" guides you place that are parallel or at right angles to each other, the less likely you will get these spirals.

I've made a simple model that demonstrates this technique:

AUTOPO Tutorial (From Scratch)

See if these instructions help you at all.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

My wish could be:

Let me manually retopo some parts then ask autoretopo to fill the rest. ;)

I'm not sure if this is possible. LOL

BTW there's some improvement on latest beta build.

Of course it is! That would be the perfect blend of the control in Blender/bsurfaces and 3dcoat.

As I said in another thread, for a start it would be nice if you could export the strokes to the retopo room and use them as polylines, loop borders, or just save them to an obj to be used for eg. spline patching in another app.

this would be a great help and should not be too hard to implement.

I guess it would be easier than a force flag for strokes in autopo ..

cheers dulo