3DCoat Forums

Vue 9.5 Complete

digman

• Reputable Contributor

I purchased Vue 9.5 Complete today. They were still running the sale though it is past the 3rd of October. I hope to give it a test run today sometime. 3D Landscapes with some imported 3DCoat models should make a nice combination.

299 dollars, half off price.

Slow installer... but it's installing on my other machine. ;)

I think we have a few other 3DCoat users running Vue also.

• Reputable Contributor

"Vue 9 Complete" is still on the 50% half-off sale as of today $299.00 dollars

I have been enjoying the heck out of it. I can see now manys models that I make in 3DCoat will find their way to Vue.

Simple rock is from 3DCoat. Instances placed by Vue using Eco-Painter with varations of size and position.

You can paint directly on the instances using the Eco-painter brush to give the rocks some

variation in color from the base texture.

Only trouble so far is with Normal Maps not quite working right.

post-518-0-72415400-1318383925_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I purchased Vue 9.5 Complete today. They were still running the sale though it is past the 3rd of October. I hope to give it a test run today sometime. 3D Landscapes with some imported 3DCoat models should make a nice combination.

$299??? That's dirt dirt cheap

I remember when it was like $1000-$1500 not so long ago...

Not surprising though considering that Terragen 2.3 is around $260 and it's every bit as good.

• Advanced Member

Oh wait Xstream is $1495.00 for vue 9.5

• Reputable Contributor

Oh wait Xstream is $1495.00 for vue 9.5

I saw your edit, I do like the fact that I can make my own plants,trees, rocks etc in 3DCoat and use them in Eco-Painter as instances. You can modify Vue plants,trees,rocks etc using the Eco-system which is great but you can not start from stratch to build your own.

I think again I will look at 3DCoat's tree generator though Andrew has not done any thing to it in a long time.

Gotta run, leaving town again...

I used Terragen classic before they went to Terragen 2. It was one of the first landscaping programs I used...

• Advanced Member

Have you noticed that the old friend Bryce is now free for non commercial use?

The latest build can export the tree modifier directly as obj. Another tree generator then... ;)

This foliage just imported to SketchUp???!!! and rendered there using podium/kray clone renderer.

bryceTreesTest.jpg

I used Terragen classic before they went to Terragen 2. It was one of the first landscaping programs I used...

Just throwing this out there, on the new show Terra Nova they used LightWave for pretty much everything except the dinosaur animation (maya), and some of the landscape stuff was done in Terragen. I always preferred Vue, but I haven't tried the later versions of Terragen

... I think we have a few other 3DCoat users running Vue also.

I am using Vue from version 4, aeons back :), and found it to be the most intuitive renderer/terrain editor that you can get.

With the versions, prices went up (not meaning that some versions would have rectified that), so I went and did the same: got 9Complete.

Had the chance to see Complete and XStream (Infinite) side by side. Seeing Complete struggle rendering on the same scene as XStream (this one running like a charm, obviously) - OK, Complete is "cheap" but you have to take in account that you will miss a lot of functionality by using it.

No multipass rendering, no GPU usage for AA plus some other features that should have place within an application that is entitled "Complete".

Turned to 6 Infinite again.

No nagging - just reporting to maybe help others to avoid the same trap.