3DCoat Forums

Transform and Mirror

Phizter

Hi Andrew,

It would be sooooo nice if transform would respect when Mirror is turned on (similar to how things work in Zbrush). So when moving an element on the right side of the mirror plane to the right, going away from the mirror plane, this elements counterpart on the left side of the mirror plane will also move away from the mirror plane, and since it is mirrored that will be left.

If what I am requesting above is possible I think this behaviour should also be applied mirrored instances.

Martin

I agree. For now the work around is to use Pose tool-select object, then you can transform as you say.

What I normally do in 3D-Coat is:

1. I turn of symmetry.

2. I move what I have to move, so that things, on the right side of the center seen from the front view, are where I want them to be.

3. I right click the layer I am working in and apply "To global space".

4. I hit the "symmetrical copy" button in the lower right corner.

5. JOB DONE.

What I do in ZBrush is:

1. I move what I have to move with symmetry activated.

2. JOB DONE.

If there is a more clever way to do things in 3D-Coat I would love to know about it.

• Contributor

If there is a more clever way to do things in 3D-Coat I would love to know about it.

Tree321 just wrote it. :)

In might seem an issue but in 3dCoat but it gives possibility to keep the symmetry plane if you move around an object.Only in 3DCoat you can do that,its extremely powerful.

For example ,if you have a gun or a sword that you did with symmetry in X,you can move it around and place it inside the hand of the character and you will still be able sculpt/cut on it with its own symmetry plane intact.In Zbrush if you move/rotate an object around outside the center of the canvas...you are screwed.

Tree321 just wrote it. :)

Oh boy. Its been right there all this time. Man I feel awkward now, but at the same time happy and relieved;).

Thanks a lot guys, for taking your time to guide a blind old man trough the valley ignorance. I can only guarantee I will need your guidance again any day soon.

Anyhow my request regarding the transform tool and symmetry still stands. For the sake of a coherent, intuitive and predictable UI.

At least we should have some text in the yellow info box for the transform tool that reads something like "If you want to move objects using symmetry, use the pose tool, bla bla bla.."

Cheers

Martin

• Contributor

Since you are discussing the subject of symmetry, I was wondering if there is a way to reset symmetry of an object to the world-space origin? Often I am working on a voxel volume layer and I wish that it had the same symmetry plane as a different layer, but because the symmetry plane is in relation to the layer (and not world-space) I find that I have to try and transform the object to the approximately correct location, but it is not exact. I also know that you can move the symmetry plane with the Tab key, but that also is not exact, so I find that I have to start over with a new layer in order to regain the exact world-space symmetry plane. The "reset symmetry plane" option in the symmetry menu doesn't seem to do this...any suggestions?

Since you are discussing the subject of symmetry, I was wondering if there is a way to reset symmetry of an object to the world-space origin? Often I am working on a voxel volume layer and I wish that it had the same symmetry plane as a different layer, but because the symmetry plane is in relation to the layer (and not world-space) I find that I have to try and transform the object to the approximately correct location, but it is not exact. I also know that you can move the symmetry plane with the Tab key, but that also is not exact, so I find that I have to start over with a new layer in order to regain the exact world-space symmetry plane. The "reset symmetry plane" option in the symmetry menu doesn't seem to do this...any suggestions?

1. In the Vox tree, right click on the voxel layer you want to reset.

2. In the roll out menu that appears, click "To global space"

3. The mirror plane of the selected layer should now be smack center of your scene.

• 4 months later...