3DCoat Forums

Nokia's Qt is now open source

• Advanced Member

Nice, i have looked at QT before but did not use it in the end however i know it is high quality and also company's like Autodesk use it so this is great news. Maybe Andrew would be interested in making it part of the 3DC GUI.

I have said before on the forum that major game company's find scripting and SDKs very important. That is a fact and yesterday i was watching a video on polycount where Epic say they chose maya and Autodesk products because they can custom code almost all of the program and the also GUI with QT -

http://www.polycount.com/2011/10/24/using-autodesk-to-build-gears-of-war-3/

I have requested scripting and a real plugin SDK before already but being able to code new dialogs and plugins would be really great for 3DC and i think QT could be great for that with it's GUI designer and coding options.

Now it's a true open source project this will be very useful though, thanks for the news and link :D

That's just about the only reason major studios go with Maya. A guy I know was an artist on Disney's movie Bolt and he made a special point of telling our group that you can see maya in the making-of for the movie, but he wanted us to know that they only used it for the UI and all of the tools they used were proprietary, nothing out-of-the-box aside from the UI.

• Advanced Member

I downloaded the latest SDK yesterday, but i haven't installed it yet. It was quite huge download (1.4GB) but it has the GUI designer tools etc included i think.

If QT is good enough for a high end 3D company like Autodesk and game company's are going with software due to decent GUI customization then maybe QT will be of interest to Andrew, I don't know about licensing costs as i won't be selling anything but if it's reasonable then QT would possibly be a good choice for 3DC's new GUI as it seems very customizable. As well as main GUI customization, QT also has APIs for C++ and CSS/JavaScript style programming so it could allow for a decent user scripting and custom dialog system.