3DCoat Forums

multi-Res? surface mode?

Bin

Hi people, I got 2 questions here, hope can get some hint.

1, when working in voxel sculpting, is there a way to toggle different levels of subdivisions like in ZBrush? I tried the proxy mode, and found there is 2x/4x/8x reduction, that serves similarly and increased the speed of response when dealing with dense mesh. is that the so called "Multi-Res" solution? or there is other ways to change the visual res?

2 the "surface presentation" mode works faster but has less options of tools. what would be a good situation to use this mode?

thanks

:D

re: 2) Surface mode is a lot faster, so is good for doing large edits to the model (eg. move, pose) which would otherwise slow down in voxel mode. You also get access to some awesome tools such as the mud tools. These work insanely fast - effectively realtime - for live sculpting. I use mud a lot when doing freeform work, as it lets me scribble freely on the model without any lag, and seems to help a lot with constructive anatomy.

Surface mode is also ideal for doing very small detail such as surface pores and wrinkles. Surface mode also allows masking, so it's ideal if you wish to make precise edits to tightly defined areas, e.g., extruding muscle mass etc.

So, proxy mode: useful for changing shape without breaking surface detail. Surface mode: useful for masking, roughing, or tight surface detail.

• Advanced Member
2 the "surface presentation" mode works faster but has less options of tools. what would be a good situation to use this mode?

Best to think of most of the surface mode sculpting brushes as the equivalent of ZBrush's clay buildup tools - they have a way of filling depressions quickly as well as having an inherent planar quality in their nature and thus they help building forms quickly. Basically you're setting up the planar changes and smoothing out the differences where as in standard voxel mode the tools have a softer building quality more like ZBrush's standard brushes.

Early experiments with LiveClay (save the artifact/ exploding mesh glitches ) in Beta mode suggest that it's the best yet for this Planar building and smoothing technique. This is very exciting as almost this one tool is getting the great percentage of the work done by itself.