3DCoat Forums

Help With My Possibly Illegal 3dsMax Master Plan?

kay_Eva

• Advanced Member

Hello. I am an ardent Blender/3dCoat user. I own a license to 2 game engines and even though I have spent months studying scripting there are still tons of things I can't do with scripting. Also, the engine I am using has some other limitations and it will take the developer some time to make the features I've been wanting for more than a year. The other engine basically lied to me that they would make some features that they really aren't going to do.

Anyway, I'm a bit desperate, so I want to use CryEngine 3 which has everything I want and more. However, even though I've learned how to use it for 2 years now, they are stubborn and will never make a blender exporter. So I need to use 3dsMax just to be able to export anything to CryEngine 3.

So my plan is to get an Education version for free. So...does anyone have any idea on how to do this? Luckily, my sister is a teacher and I suppose if I pay her $50 she can use her creditials to get a serial key, and then...give the serial key to me! Is this legal? Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

*btw my sister is a 2nd grade teacher but that shouldn't matter should it?

• Reputable Contributor

Free engine but need 3DMax, yeah, kinda sucks...

If you want just fun,a diversion and nothing fancy while you wait for an exporter, try free Sauerbraten, Cube2.

Scripting, you can do if you know how.

I use Misfit Model 3D to turn 3DCoat models into md3 files...

I use md3 files but it does support md5.

Map I'm building..

http://sauerbraten.org/

post-518-0-52175700-1320553192_thumb.jpe

I do remember using a blender script to get static objects into that engine but I found we are out of luck for characters and other skeletal objects :(

Have you looked into UDK by chance I've had luck working with blender/3d coat with it for both static objects and skeletal objects too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Didn't you mention you were layed off recently? Autodesk has a program for that. (I wanted to say app, but... );

check it out. I know the title says students, but it's for 'displaced professionals'. I don't know what country you live in, but know it's good for US at least. And, not just for 3ds max.

http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_landing

Hope that helps,

Greg

Regarding country, it says: currently available only in Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.