3DCoat Forums

LightWave 3D 11 announced

• Reputable Contributor

So, basically...everything you paid for when you "upgraded" to LW CORE, you now have to pay for again...to get it in LW Classic? All because Newtek changed course...again? Didn't Hardcore members get the next 5 upgrades free or something like that? Otherwise, I think they got hosed pretty good.

I was going to jump in when CORE was first announced, but when I realized that it wasn't really a newly revamped version of LW that they had been working on for years. It was alpha/vapor ware. And they were asking the average user to PAY them to be alpha testers. That's when I turned my back for good on Lightwave. Newtek keeps making me feel smarter for choosing that course. :D

• Reputable Contributor

To be fair, I do believe Rob finally has them going in the right direction, and it's looking better all the time. It's just that they seem intent to hose the guys who bought into their previous failed attempts.

I realize they are likely strapped for (development) cash and can't afford to give free updates to such a large chunk of their userbase, but they should make some good faith effort to fix what they broke....and that is...promises.

• Advanced Member

I think you made the right choice Abnranger regarding core. I'm still not upgrading my lw 10 license yet. This could be core all over again. I will wait this time.

If the user feedback is good then I'll upgrade because the price is still affordable (495 for me) and some features are necessary like the render buffer improvement.

I could be wrong but i swear that at the VFX MINDS on 11/10/11 Rob said, users of 10 and 10.1 will have 11 available to them. i know that he did say if you buy or upgrade to 10.1 you get 11 when it ships at the end of the year. They handed us a nice bag with a shirt and dvd with demo of lightwave 10.1 and some kind of demo of lw11. But i didn't get a chance to see what the dvd came with.

Yes honestly I still can't figure out if it's free or not, people said there's a download link in your account if you wn 10 or 10.1 but i don't sie it anywhere. I emailed customer support but haven't heard a response yet, I'm sure they're quite busy.

• Advanced Member

Nope its not free for us and will not be able to test unless you plunk down the cash, which I'm not doing again after the core thing. Early adapters are generally happy with it. But most of them are lw users that are getting new features which have been available for other packages for some time.

Goz, renderpasses, particle flocking, instancing.

Nonetheless its progress and hopefully lw will be on par to animation packages like 3dmax, maya, xsi, c4d.

There will be a trial version and a window to upgrade at the cheaper price once the final build is released probably by Dec. After that its regular pricing 695US upgrade for all which is still cheap for a complete animation package.

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1194762&postcount=110

• Advanced Member

Personally I think they owe the Lightwave users base a big apology for Core the confusion which is a thoroughly needless nonsense and should be scrapped forthwith. Who needs this kind of BS , small print and misunderstandings, isn't life too short?

Version 10? I got a Core Member t-shirt but no disc , oh and just a download link after finally hassling Newtek Europe as the weeks and months passed . Very poor, atrocious in fact. The T-Shirt went straight to charity , the download never got loaded and the whole seedy experience ? Somewhat like being robbed up an alleyway. Have they heard of Blender?

Seems like a good enough upgrade for those in FX , but still the glaring omissions from which Luxology sprung verdant leave me to wonder on the corporate direction.

I expected more - much more. The consciousness and expectation of the audience has changed.

• Advanced Member

I think lw 11 is a worthy upgrade not like lw 10.1. My lw 10.1 is gathering dust and I'm still using lw 9.6.

Upgrade to lw 11 still cheap if you're earning a living with 3D. 395USD for an upgrade with those features is not bad, its a one freelance job.

Granted my fulltime job is using 3dmax and pays the bills, lightwave is still a strong brand and a very capable modelling, vfx, animation package and one I can afford to use at home.

I've played with blender and also tried modo. Problem is, there's very few freelance work for them hiring on the net. Maya,3dmax,c4d dominate the freelance gig on the net and occasionally some lightwave projects are posted. Blender, modo, xsi, are very few in demand. But with fulltime work modo and xsi are very strong especially with gaming companies like konami, namco. Blender, hmm..I don't know of many companies that are blender based pipeline.

It doesn't matter how blender is better in many aspects or how modo is better at modelling, if you can't find projects for it.... They're not even in the top 5 best selling format on turbosquid which is somewhat an indication.

I'm not saying that lw11 isn't worth the upgrade. What i don't think is worth the upgrade is lw10. I never upgraded since i was waiting for Core. Once lw10 came out i was like i can wait for the next version. They Aren't even letting people buy the pre-release unless you buy 10.1.

Anyway i guess i can sit on 9.6 until it comes out. Then i'll decided, but honesty i have to say Modo 501 is looking like a much better upgrade.

• Advanced Member

I don't disagree with you. I think lw 10.1 was a disappointment hence it sits idle on my hd.

But all software makers have that moment. AD, adobe, etc brought out some so so upgrades. Modo has been in development for over 8 years and its still not able to do vfx and character animation. The only software that I think should be more popular is xsi but somehow its still in third place. People can be so loyal and fanboish its too bad xsi is such a great app and should be more popular.

i don't know. I would have loved to jump onto the XSI platform. But once AD discontinued their introduction version. i Just couldn't afford it.

I agree, right now Modo is still missing features that you would need for VFX and CA. which is why i honestly haven't upgraded Modo from 103 ... hehe. I'm very close to upgrading but it would have to wait till after the new year.

• Advanced Member

To be fair, I do believe Rob finally has them going in the right direction, and it's looking better all the time. It's just that they seem intent to hose the guys who bought into their previous failed attempts.

I realize they are likely strapped for (development) cash and can't afford to give free updates to such a large chunk of their userbase, but they should make some good faith effort to fix what they broke....and that is...promises.

You hit it on the nose AnbRanger. I'm amazed how they found a way to ignore us, Core suckers.

you know what i think is funny. Back in 9.6 Newtek said they removed the new Uvmapping tools, but will be in the next version. um it's 2 version in and nothing. Maybe they knew 3d-coat was going to have some new UV tools and figured they could take credit for it....just playing on this part.

Yup i was playing with them for bit in the beta. I really liked the beta version of 9.6. all the plugins where nicely organized. Then when i installed the final version they went back to being just one long list.

You can get that back, but it changes all of the rest of the menus too. It's the Studio Production Style preset in the menu Editor.

• Advanced Member

The UV tools did exist in beta and I really liked them so I made sure I made a back up of the plugin when I heard they were being removed. Though I still just ended up using 3DC anyway.

I don't remember them useable in 9.6 open beta. Can you post those plugins? :D

i'm also tripping how Now Newek is saying that hardcore members have 60 days after they release LW11 to upgrade for the given price. Unless i read it wrong. But if so how is that possible if you bought into the HC membership you'r locked into 5 upgrades at the 395 price

• Advanced Member

i'm also tripping how Now Newek is saying that hardcore members have 60 days after they release LW11 to upgrade for the given price. Unless i read it wrong. But if so how is that possible if you bought into the HC membership you'r locked into 5 upgrades at the 395 price

It was communicated early on in hardcore forums that the locked in upgrade price is only applicable if you continue for every release at a given window.

Its fair and pretty standard. My vue license missed an upgrade window they offered for a month but I didn't upgrade so I lost the discounted upgrade.

60 days is a lot of time to evaluate software. Some softare only gives you 30 days and some even less.

• Advanced Member

My only concern is that sometimes I can go for more than 60 days without having $495 available.

Then you'll pay 695US like everyone else :D

Still cheap imho for a modelling, vfx, animation software if one is earning from 3D.

Might not be cheap if this is just a hobby. But thinking about it I spent more than that for ps3 and games.